PDA

View Full Version : Set up help

Iyaayas
04/29/2016, 12:16 PM
So I need some help, I just decided to start up a saltwater tank. So recently I bought a 100 gallon tank and stand, protein skimmer rated for 125g, and 5 bags of 20# saltwater white sand. My next step is water, lights, and love rock to start the ecosystem. My question is how much live rock do I actually need and I eventually plan on having coral so what light system should I get? Trying to get the best for the money spent but not wanting to spend entirely way too much money on something I won't actually need. And I'd like to make it somewhat of an exotic tank, maybe a fuzzy dwarf or two.. Also looking into maybe getting a stone fish, but I'd also like to have a few mandarins..any suggestions?

UncleSalt
04/29/2016, 12:20 PM
Get mostly dry rock. Then get a small live rock and use that to seed the dry rock.

deave
04/29/2016, 12:25 PM
I agree with the above. Starting with dry rock will assure you that there are no pest or unwanted critters. As for the amount of live rock, this would vary with how many fishes you plan to keep and your filtration. i seen some beautiful tanks with barely any rocks.

Mandarins, IMO, feed on amphipods and copepods. So, I suggest seeding your tank first before getting the fish. A refugium wouldn't be a bad idea.

Iyaayas
04/29/2016, 12:27 PM
The sand claims to have that already embedded in it. And how do you know when the tank is "seeded".

Bent
04/29/2016, 12:30 PM
I strongly suggest you read the sticky threads at the top of this page with the red arrow about setting up. Read that first then if you have more follow up questions feel free to ask.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074