PDA

View Full Version : Mantis companions

ReefNoob86
04/29/2016, 03:13 PM
Hi all, ive purchased a peacock mantis an is currently living in the lfs, thing is what can be housed with it? Tank 5x2x2

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nmotz
04/29/2016, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the mantis shrimp forum; that is a common question and you'll get varying responses.

The bottom line is be content with losing whatever you put in the tank with a Peacock mantis. Meaning I would definitely not consider any exotic fish or whatever.

Eventually Peacocks will get hungry, bored, irritated, etc at its tank companions and will eat them. I once had a large cleaner shrimp and a big fire shrimp too. Both were eaten after a while. Some people report success with certain species of small fish, but others report that the presence of fish spooks the mantis and makes them more reclusive.

My advice is to do a soft coral only tank with the Peacock. That way you won't need high end lighting and your tank will have beautiful color and the motion of swaying corals. I noticed that my Peacock does not come out as much during the day under high intensity LEDs, for example.

Best of luck to you!

EI Gringo
04/30/2016, 01:05 AM
In a tank as big as yours you will probably have a lot more success than most

Jlentz
04/30/2016, 03:34 AM
Good size tank. That should help.
My rule is any fish/invert that goes into the mantis tank is a write off. I've experimented with a bunch of cheap damsels in the past and I believe it kept him in hiding for the most part.

Seahare has been doing ok. Just taking love taps. All snails and hermits of reasonable size are food. I do have three tennis ball size turbos that are doing well. He's hit them pretty hard and not killed them yet.

I just put a tuxedo urchin in a couple days ago and so far so good.

I've currently got a smallish fox face, big lawnmower blenny and a little yellowtail damsel for fish.

He's taken multiple chromis, damsels, and a CBB in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefNoob86
04/30/2016, 01:29 PM
Decided to house my mantis in my fuge section of my sump

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

EI Gringo
04/30/2016, 03:01 PM
That's probably for the better given that you'd be wasting a lot of space otherwise and now you can set up a proper big reef as your main display