PDA

View Full Version : Soft Coral Positioning

pde
05/01/2016, 04:44 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a 130 Litre Tank / 34 Gallon

I just wanted some feedback on soft coral positioning.

I have attached a photo of one of my leathers and it seems to be happy, but im unsure if going to cause permanent damage having it positioned this high to the surface. I don't want it getting burnt. :facepalm:

Whats the estimated time for it to grow?

BlueMoonFox
05/01/2016, 05:53 AM
From what I've read, you'll know if it's too high. My leather wouldn't come out when it was in too high of light. It shrunk down and looked grumpy. Too high of light can kill corals in a few days. My newbie opinion is if it looks happy, go with it.

Dkuhlmann
05/01/2016, 08:36 AM
BlueMoonFox is correct partially. Once acclimated leathers prefer high light and high flow in order to help them shed.

All corals IMO and IME need to be started off in the sandbed in lower light and lower to med flow until they are acclimated. Then you can move them to a more coral specific place for lighting and flow.

BlueMoonFox
05/02/2016, 11:03 AM
The sandbed is where I acclimatised mine too. The leather was grumpy because my black box was up at 75%. I brought it down to 35% during peak times. It's sitting fat and happy on a high rock. I move up a third of the tank every two weeks.