PDA

View Full Version : Feeding corals. What do you feed?

Frootstick
05/02/2016, 06:24 AM
Hey All,

So I've gotten over some hurdles my tank put in my way. Everything is starting to look good again. Finally!
I'm looking at starting to feed my corals. Mainly LPS with a few SPS and some softies. So a mixed bag!
I was feeding Reef Roids, a few times a week and occasionally drop in some frozen mysis in with the Reef Roids.
So my question here is, what do you feed your corals? How often? And spot feeding or dumping.
As I have a lot of acans I was thinking of some type of pellet, but not sure what's the best quality and what I should do.
Some of that Nyos stuff looks interesting.

Thanks all

gallegos
05/02/2016, 12:18 PM
I have a mixed reef from coco worms to high end milipora to NPS gorgonians and sponge. What I do is a mix. Brine shrimp, mysis, Reef frenzy nano, Reef roids, gorgonian power, polyp booster from polyp lab, and colors from polyp lab. I target feed everything and poor what's left over in the tank

Brieninsac
05/02/2016, 12:22 PM
Reef Chili

Frontier
05/02/2016, 01:17 PM
Brine/Mysis squirt for LPS (sometimes Silversides for my brain) and Oyster Feast for SPS.

AboutAcans
10/10/2016, 12:55 AM
I feed Olio coral food. Stuff is ridiculous. Everything in my tank loves it.

2smokes
10/10/2016, 01:53 AM
I used to feed my corals with pharmaceutical grade spirulina powder(from pills but needs to be pure spirulina for safety)mixed with shrimp guts.I drained somme of the shrimp stomacks i normally buy to eat myself and smash it then mix it with spirulina powder.It is the only food i could see zoantus are eating it and LPS loved it too.Apart from that formula1 pellets for bigest LPS and coral liquid thats made by JBL is also a good food.I had a big blue linkia that eated only coral food from JBL and nothing else.

A sea K
10/10/2016, 05:13 AM
1 cube PE mysis, 1 cube PE calanus, 1 cube Hikari mysis, 1 cube Hikara enriched brine shrimp, small scoop of reef roids and a small scoop of reef chili. I mix all these together in a container with tank water and its enough for 3 days of feeding. I have mostly LPS and the majority of those are Acans. I dont target feed, typically squirt some in front of my MP10 and let the flow do the rest, everything responds well and is evident when the food hits the tank.

SeaCucumberFan
10/10/2016, 07:15 AM
I feed corals and filter feedies AquaPharm 5-in-1 Coral Food (Recommended by LFS). I usually spot feed with a pipette but when I'm lazy I just dump. Although I do plan getting more types of food like pods etc.

ReefsandGeeks
10/10/2016, 07:48 AM
I've personally seen best results with oyster feast. I've tried reef roids, homemade, and a couple others, but with oyster feast I actually notice better polyp extension and more a bit more color. Note that I only had results that were visible when spot feeding. I just dumped it in after a while when I was getting lazy, and didn't see that same results as target feeding.

mikluha
10/10/2016, 09:05 PM
1) Fish poop. Best food for corals. Easy to make - simply feed your fishes a lot. Everyone is happy.
2) Fish food leftovers (corals happily grab everything they can, including flakes pieces, etc)
3) Frozen home made mix (clam juice, calamari, etc)
4) Mix of reef-roids, coral fest, and couple more. Actually, I'm not buying this anymore. I found freeze-dried plankton on eBay really cheap. I grind it myself and its smells exactly like fancy overpriced coral food. I add it to soy milk daily.
5) Soy milk - about tablespoon per 200 gal daily
6) Homemade amino-mix - daily (when I remember).

I'm planing to dose silica, so I have more diatoms. I noticed coral expansion after I clean front glass.

For large LPS I use frozen stuff and small cichlid pellets (fortunately, corals don't read package labels. Ignorance is a bliss) - cover them with plastic caps and leave overnight

Still fish poop is the best.

scar79
10/11/2016, 07:29 AM
Most nights I thaw a cube of mysis in a small cup of tank water with a scoop of Benepets coral food, a cap of aquavitro fuel, and a squirt of oyster feast. I target feed just about everything with my Julian's Thing.

scooter31707
10/11/2016, 10:09 AM
Mysis shrimp and Reef Chili

wildman926
10/11/2016, 11:41 AM
1) Fish poop. Best food for corals. Easy to make - simply feed your fishes a lot. Everyone is happy.
2) Fish food leftovers (corals happily grab everything they can, including flakes pieces, etc)
3) Frozen home made mix (clam juice, calamari, etc)

Still fish poop is the best.

X2!

You can dump what is at the bottom of your protein skimmer's cup back into the tank, and watch the LPS and Soft corals open up.

RobZilla04
01/04/2017, 01:11 PM
X2!

You can dump what is at the bottom of your protein skimmer's cup back into the tank, and watch the LPS and Soft corals open up.

Does this cause a spike in nutrients? Or are you spot feeding with no flow to control how much excess gets spread around the tank?

Fbrondum
01/07/2017, 02:27 PM
Fish food and target reef roids twice a week but my tank is really young so I'm not sure how much good I'm doing [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpius
01/07/2017, 02:29 PM
Rods' food and LRS Reef Frenzy. Nothing else needed other than fish poop. :lol:

ca1ore
01/07/2017, 11:10 PM
I don't bother to feed the corals in my display, plenty of fish waste to go around. I do feed my frag tank a few times a week with a mix of rods and reef roads.