PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Horseshoe crab

Mac1999
05/02/2016, 10:10 AM
Hello, I heard that there is a dwarf horshoe crab, I was wondering If they could fit in a 75 gallon tank and what they eat and if there hard to keep thanks

MondoBongo
05/02/2016, 10:36 AM
no such thing.

horseshoe crabs are very bad candidates for the home aquarium due to their adult size, lifespan, and feeding requirements.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/12/inverts

Horseshoe Crabs: Limulus polyphemus

These aren't true crabs either, being merostomates, and while you might see small ones for sale from time to time, they probably shouldn't be. These can easily grow to well over a foot in length, and spend most all of their time buried in sediments. They're omnivorous, but eat primarily clams and worms which they find while digging around in the substrate, so in an aquarium they would require a lot of space, a very deep sand bed, and plenty of meaty food. Even juveniles can be harmful in reef aquariums with a deep sand bed, as they'll eventually clear it of any beneficial worms and such. The bottom line is that these really aren't suitable for reef aquariums, or typical non-reef aquariums, either.

MMacro
05/02/2016, 11:17 AM
no such thing.

horseshoe crabs are very bad candidates for the home aquarium due to their adult size, lifespan, and feeding requirements.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/12/inverts

This. You are probably just looking at a juvenile.

Mac1999
05/19/2016, 03:00 PM
Is there anything that moves sand like the horseshoe crab

Hitch08
05/19/2016, 03:49 PM
I doubt there is anything that moves sand like a horseshoe crab does. They are like nature's bulldozer. Down at the beach, they leave very clear marks where they come out of the water and go up to lay eggs.

Are you looking for something to keep some movement going in your substrate to keep it healthy? Or, are you looking for significant movement of the sand/substrate?

MondoBongo
05/19/2016, 03:50 PM
Lots of things. There are snails like nassarius, sand sifting starfish, and even some fish that will help. So you can pick the right combination of critters for your particular setup.

heathlindner25
05/19/2016, 03:51 PM
Horseshoe crabs don't move sand..... not the top anyways they dig around half inch below the sand, you would never know he was in there

sfdan
05/19/2016, 05:46 PM
Fighting Conch would be fine in a 75.

fabulousfavia
07/21/2017, 06:04 PM
Hello, I heard that there is a dwarf horshoe crab, I was wondering If they could fit in a 75 gallon tank and what they eat and if there hard to keep thanks

There is no such thing as a dwarf horseshoe crab and horseshoe crabs get large and require extensive feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabulousfavia
07/21/2017, 06:06 PM

A slipper lobster would but they are as destructive, hard to feed, and get as big as horseshoe crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk