PDA

View Full Version : Best vendor?

ostrow
05/02/2016, 11:59 AM
Just curious. I only see 1-2" clams for sale at the big places. I haven't bought a clam in years. Are larger ones no longer available?

twon8
05/02/2016, 01:46 PM
Dr macs gets some bigger ones in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ostrow
05/02/2016, 07:40 PM
That website/business long gone....unless name changed?

stevenc1187
05/03/2016, 11:50 PM
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/

ostrow
05/04/2016, 05:17 AM
Didn't know that was Dr. Mac. Very different from his old place....

And, zero clams. Very different.

stevenc1187
05/04/2016, 06:14 AM
I would email them most likely they havent updated They usually have them

donut0079
05/04/2016, 10:59 AM
Divers den lists a lot of 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch. I haven't seen much bigger than that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef Frog
05/04/2016, 01:51 PM
All the stuff I've read says under 3 inch Maximas have a much higher mortality rate than larger adult clams and should be fed phytoplankton. True?

Pacific East has an exclusive source in Australia. So seasonality probably has something to do with availability on their site. He gets some amazing specimens sometimes so you may want to keep an eye on his site.

ostrow
05/04/2016, 02:45 PM
All the stuff I've read says under 3 inch Maximas have a much higher mortality rate than larger adult clams and should be fed phytoplankton. True?

Pacific East has an exclusive source in Australia. So seasonality probably has something to do with availability on their site. He gets some amazing specimens sometimes so you may want to keep an eye on his site.

That is absolutely my experience.

Gig 'em
05/18/2016, 11:24 AM
Agreed with ostrow. The smaller clams haven't developed enough zooxanthellae to support themselves on their own and need nutrient intake from filtration.

mystersyster
06/13/2016, 01:20 AM
Agreed with ostrow. The smaller clams haven't developed enough zooxanthellae to support themselves on their own and need nutrient intake from filtration.

This is absolutely not true, so please stop spreading this around. Unless you don't have fish, feeding is not necessary. Especially if it's phytoplankton...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

This is a great article referencing scientific studies on Clams. Please read this is you wanna educate yourself on clam feeding requirements.

ostrow
06/13/2016, 04:52 AM
Yeah Gig had some misinformation. But fact remains that the tinier ones are much, much harder to keep alive in a box.

theblackapex
04/21/2017, 02:07 PM
I personally like cultivated reef. I've dealt with other coral vendors in the past such as aquarium depot, which I was disappoint with. You buy so much and get free shipping, but the shipping is two days and by the time the prouducts arrive they are so stressed out and water is mostly cold. Took my zoas a while to open up and some still never flourish like they should. I've also order from tidal gardens which has good products but they are priced at full retail. Their order comes in over night and with $250 you get free shipping. Than is very knowledgeable about the products and the products did flourish in the tank, but you get what you pay for. I have nothing bad to say about tidal just the prices are a little steep for my liking when I can go to a place like cultivated reef and find the same item for less money

With cultivated reef I've ordered 3 times, the third actually just arrived today. I've never had a bad experience and every item have opened up and flourished as soon as the acclimation is finished. It's like the coral never misses a beat from their tank to my tank. With their orders I have received wonderful customer service from Holly, which has taken care of my orders each time. She provides fast information, and quality service. If you are looking for a specific item and you do not see it just ask, they may have it and it hasn't made it to the website yet. That's what I've done before and even received offers on other items that haven't been uploaded yet. For especially Zoas, I do not know of a better place to order online. The service and items are top notch, fair prices, teir discounts, reward points. Even receive 20% off the next order after the first order. And most the time you receive more than what was listed on how many polyps to expect.

Wonderful website and company to do business with.