PDA

View Full Version : My 75gallon tank

MNFishGuy
05/02/2016, 09:02 PM
Hello! I currently own a 75 gallon saltwater tank that is in some bad shape. The tank is divided at about 40/60 because of an incompatible fish(A moon wrasse). However, my moon wrasse passed away just yesterday. I'm pretty bummed about that, but he was starting to push 8 years(I actually picked him out when I was little). As sad as it is, this opens up a new opportunity for this tank. I'd like to make a lower maintenance reef out of the tank. Some other things I should note:

Livestock: A 5" Pacific Sailfin Tang, a 4" Clownfish, a larger Bangai Cardinalfish, and an Engineer goby. I have a rather large Hermit Crab, along with smaller hermits, astrae snails, and two Mexican turbo snails. I would rather not get rid of any fish (other than maybe the engineer goby if he causes any problems with stocking and such)

I recently had a red slime outbreak, it's now mostly under control. The remaining algae is on the divider that will be coming out very soon.

I have an invasion of aptasia. I'm thinking I may get 3 peppermint shrimps to help control, along with using Joes Juice.

I would really like some input as to how you guys would go about with mending this tank. I'd really like to make it into a beautiful tank, not a drab wasteland.
Attached should be a picture of the tank as it stands. If you would like any more info I'd be glad to share

EDIT: One more thing, just tested my water: ph looks like it's around 8, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25, nitrite is at 0 nitrate is between 20 and 40. Doesn't surprise me being that there was a dead fish in the water 24 hours ago. Looks like I'll be doing a water change very very soon.

ZoeyLove
05/03/2016, 10:38 AM
I don't know about the rest of your posting, but we had a real problem with aptasia and bought a file fish - all gone, almost over night, and it hasn't come back. No problems with him bothering our corals either. He's great!

PAXpress
05/03/2016, 11:14 AM
I don't know about the rest of your posting, but we had a real problem with aptasia and bought a file fish - all gone, almost over night, and it hasn't come back. No problems with him bothering our corals either. He's great!
I had 3 peppermint shrimp devour all of our aiptasia overnight as well, however I've heard some people have no luck with these.

GimpyFin
05/03/2016, 11:17 AM
+1 on the matted filefish for aiptasia. Good success rate compared to peppermint shrimp or copperband butterfly. Although, mine went rogue after destroying the aiptasia and started taking out my LPS corals. Had to move him to my other tank. In my experience, stuff like Joes juice and aiptasia-x tend to just irritate them off and they come back stronger.

For the cyano, you could maybe start by reducing the light period on the tank and increasing flow in ares where the cyano is accumulating. are you using a protein skimmer?

MNFishGuy
05/03/2016, 06:45 PM

Really?! I've looked at ORAs new filefish but I'm not sure if I really want one. Looking on LA I think a total of 35$ to ship a 30$ fish is a bit much, and I've never had a fish shipped to me either. I'm a bit weary about it. How does your filefish act with the rest of his tankmates???

MNFishGuy
05/03/2016, 06:51 PM
+1 on the matted filefish for aiptasia. Good success rate compared to peppermint shrimp or copperband butterfly. Although, mine went rogue after destroying the aiptasia and started taking out my LPS corals. Had to move him to my other tank. In my experience, stuff like Joes juice and aiptasia-x tend to just irritate them off and they come back stronger.

For the cyano, you could maybe start by reducing the light period on the tank and increasing flow in ares where the cyano is accumulating. are you using a protein skimmer?

I'm not to familiar with corals. Do you think one might attack mushrooms or any other soft coral? I've found that out too regarding the Joes Juice... Used it when I only had maybe 10. Took them all out. A week later I all of a sudden had around 50.
I'll try that for the cyano. I do not have a protein skimmer, should I?

MNFishGuy
05/08/2016, 02:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QhYdBnW.jpg
Removed the divider, and re-did the rockwork. Considering a Matted Filefish now, as it seems like it would be cheaper and easier than getting peppermint shrimp. How is my stocking limit right now? The cyano is gone now, other than a bit in the right powerhead. All the fish seem to be getting along quite nicely, just a little aggression from the clown towards the engineer goby. It's stopped now that the goby has made his new home under the large rock on the right