PDA

View Full Version : ato issue

Highweigh
05/02/2016, 09:38 PM
For my setup I'm using the Hydor ato and Tom's aqualifter.

My issue is that my reservoir is above my sump, nothing I can do about this I don't think. Unless there are some nice slimline reservoirs that I could fit behind the tank?

The ato will siphon water continuously from the reservoir into my sump.

I tried adding a T to the line coming from the reservoir but the pump is not strong enough to pull water with the T attached.

If I'm not mistaken I could place the fill hose into my DT? Of course not underwater but above the water line.

I'm assuming this would be okay or would it cause some strange issues with overflow or something?

water is wet
05/02/2016, 09:41 PM
That is the way I ran my Tunze.

thegrun
05/03/2016, 06:53 AM
The fill line into the display is fine as long as you do keep the discharge above the waterline. You can also discharge it into a slightly larger pvc pipe that extends out of your sump to a height that is above ATO reservoir. The space between your ATO discharge pipe and the larger PVC pipe acts as an air gap and breaks the siphon.

Greybeard
05/03/2016, 09:26 AM
EShoppes has a 5g reservoir that is kind of thin, I guess.

I have one, and had to build a stand to get it up above my sump... I use gravity to power my ATO. Simple as can be... a 5g reservoir connected to a float valve in the sump. Add in a line from my RO/DI to a hand valve, with a float valve backup in the reservoir, and I'd have to say it works out pretty well for me.

The float switch or valve must be in the return pump compartment of your sump, as that's where the water level fluctuates, but running the fill line from the reservoir to the display wouldn't be a problem.

oseymour
05/03/2016, 10:54 AM
If you have the budget you can get an acrylic shop to make you a custom ATO that will fit. Advanced Acrylics is one.

Your going to always have siphon issues if the ato reservoir is above where you put the discharge hose.