PDA

View Full Version : To proactively treat with Cu or not.

Quah
05/03/2016, 09:43 AM
I have a quick question. I currently preparing to upgrade my display of 180 to a larger tank(I will not be adding liverock or livesand to try and get a crypt free display(I bought this one used and got a good deal)), however, when I purchased it I moved everything at once and put it all back into the tank. I do not know the history of the tank beyond that and many of the fish came with it. I have QT'd the fish I added (Magnificent Foxface and a Powder Brown Tang) I have seen crypt in the tank previously on fish, at least what looked like it, only a speck or two on some anthias and on my MF. The Powder Brown has never acquired it and I would see him as the most susceptible to infection as he was emaciated and difficult to get through QT (wouldn't eat seemed agitated and anxious), I did not treat him then - but he never showed any signs of infection. I introduced him to the DT and he turned around quickly.Should I treat with copper, or do a tank swap method, or just transfer them?

Deinonych
05/03/2016, 09:47 AM
Tank transfer is the preferred method for crypto. Copper is not recommended given its potential toxicity and narrow range of effectiveness.

Quah
05/03/2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks, I thought of tank swap method right as I was writing this. I use a 33 long with a canister filter as a QT. Would I need another similar sized tank since my MF and PBT are both about 6" long? I'm going to read up a little bit more on tank swap method and then come back if I have any further questions before I go off on a tangent.

- Quah.

snorvich
05/03/2016, 09:58 AM
Tank transfer is the preferred method for crypto. Copper is not recommended given its potential toxicity and narrow range of effectiveness.

What he said

Dmorty217
05/03/2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks, I thought of tank swap method right as I was writing this. I use a 33 long with a canister filter as a QT. Would I need another similar sized tank since my MF and PBT are both about 6" long? I'm going to read up a little bit more on tank swap method and then come back if I have any further questions before I go off on a tangent.

- Quah.

Ammonia is the only thing to worry about in TTM so a 20g long would work for a single 6" fish but with two I wouldn't attempt it in anything smaller than a 40g breeder

snorvich
05/03/2016, 11:17 AM
Ammonia is the only thing to worry about in TTM so a 20g long would work for a single 6" fish but with two I wouldn't attempt it in anything smaller than a 40g breeder

Or you can add Prime on day 2 of each cycle.