PDA

View Full Version : Red mark on midas blenny (photos)

brett559
05/03/2016, 11:50 AM
I noticed a red mark on my midas blenny this morning. Since it's localized to one spot, it looks like an injury - cut, gouge, etc. - as opposed to a parasite or sickness.

Here are some pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kta33bip9rlkouq/AACoYYj1N76XxdluwnIGdRola?dl=0

It happened last night some time. It wasn't there yesterday, it was today. The fish has been in for maybe 5-6 days. Eating great. Never seen anyone bother it.

Any thoughts?

Brieninsac
05/03/2016, 12:23 PM
That's odd, I'll be following along as I've had a Midas in quarantine for the last 10 days.

ginpang
05/04/2016, 04:48 AM
Sorry to say it kinda looks like uromena or TB . [emoji17] Maybe you should have this post moved to the disease section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dkuhlmann
05/04/2016, 05:22 AM
Two things. One he looks malnourished to me and two the mark could be from scrapping when he is going into or out of his hole in the LR.

I would first treat him with Melafix and Pimafix they can be used together and are reef safe. One treats the infection and the other promotes healing.

Then after he's healed up I would do two rounds of PraziPro to deworm all of your tank fish. I do this every 3 or 4 months to keep my fish free of internal parasites which I believe is why your fish is so skinny.

brett559
05/04/2016, 11:33 AM
It really does look like a cut or a scrape. It looks a little better today, almost like a scab fell off. Today it looks like a thin red line. As for the nourishment, he's been in the tank for only about a week. He's an aggressive eater; I feed PE mysis and NLS pellets. I've never known midas blennies to look real fat.

Deinonych
05/04/2016, 11:38 AM
Looks like a bite mark to me. What else is in the tank with it?

brett559
05/04/2016, 02:13 PM
Clowns, mystery wrasse, candy-cane hog, flame hawk, 1 blue chromis

Moort82
05/04/2016, 03:34 PM
I'd just keep an eye on it but not overly worry. It looks like a general scrape and could just be because something spooked it while its settling in.
I also don't think you need to be that worried about its weight. Doesn't look too bad to me.