PDA

View Full Version : 10g tank- what should I stock?

plecoco
05/03/2016, 01:25 PM
Hi all.

I've always wanted to have a reef tank, but I never got serious about it until now.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I want to start with something small- like one of those nano tanks, although I only have a 10g tank so yeah. It's not exactly nano.

After browsing through all the possible things I could stock, I'm still lost. I have no idea what I'm doing.

What type of corals are good for beginners that would do well in a small tank? Preferably something that doesn't require too much equipment, and is easy to care for. I don't mind investing money, but I'd rather get something simple to start.

Any suggestions?

GimpyFin
05/03/2016, 01:32 PM
Mushrooms are pretty easy and they don't require a lot of light either.

BlueFlare
05/03/2016, 01:56 PM
For fish, I would choose an orange striped prawn goby.

cody3819
05/03/2016, 01:58 PM
A purple fire fish is a good choice IMO as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Spacekitty
05/03/2016, 01:59 PM
For coral, a zoanthid garden would be really nice. They come in such a variety of colors. Just be cautious when fragging. And for fish, a goby/pistol shrimp pair would be interesting to watch. Going to liveaquaria and looking at the nano fish section could give you some more ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nereefpat
05/03/2016, 02:45 PM
Hi all.

I've always wanted to have a reef tank, but I never got serious about it until now.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I want to start with something small- like one of those nano tanks, although I only have a 10g tank so yeah. It's not exactly nano.

After browsing through all the possible things I could stock, I'm still lost. I have no idea what I'm doing.

What type of corals are good for beginners that would do well in a small tank? Preferably something that doesn't require too much equipment, and is easy to care for. I don't mind investing money, but I'd rather get something simple to start.

Any suggestions?

A couple things to add:

A 10 gallon is definitely a nano, bordering on pico. Nano tanks, although obviously smaller, can be more difficult to take care of than large tanks.

Less volume means less buffer for disasters. Small mishaps can cause major damage. Water chemistry can fluctuate quickly.

To answer your stock question, I would think of one very small fish. Easiest true corals ime are: candy canes, duncans, favia, euphilia.

lou the reefer
05/03/2016, 05:23 PM
i started with a 10 gallon nano and had great success with a blak bar chromis. roe corals, xenia, mushrooms and chalice were my top three growing corals.

good luck

plecoco
05/05/2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

A lot of suggestions. I went through them all.

For now, I think I'll stick to corals, as that's what I've had in mind. If I can, I'll add a single fish after the corals are established.

I looked at the mushroom corals on liveaquaria and they look mesmerizing. Do mushrooms generally all have the same care requirements? I want to mix and match a few different types.

The zonathids also look cool. Could I combine mushrooms and zonathids in the same 10g tank?

What about size requirements? How do I tell how many corals I can stock in one tank?

Mackenze
05/05/2016, 11:27 AM
You should do zoas and sps. Zoas first then sps 6 months down the line. Don't get any leather, they grow so big and take up so much room. At first its nice, but a year later large softies get annoying. Try to avoid palys too. They grow like crazy and can ruin esthetics down the line. Maybe like two gorgonians on the sides of your live rock 10 sps and 10-15 diff types zoas. :) for mushrooms get Florida recordias. good stuff