PDA

View Full Version : Green spotted Puffer

CrayolaViolence
05/04/2016, 05:25 AM
Well I have my first fish only tank. Someone brought in Two spotted green puffers into my LRS and they had them for quite some time. One they lost but the other is eating well. I took him home. I have been wanting a puffer but i didn't want to get a HUGE one. Bought a small (temp) tank for him seeing he is only 1 inch maybe. He's been in marine water for several week .023 which I know is high for a young fish but he seems to be doing super well.

My question is this. What on earth can I put in his tank to entertain him. poor guy just has some bare live rock. I put in a couple of hermit crabs (bigger than him) to clean up his messy eating and a ghost shrimp, which I am sure he will eventually catch and eat but for not is having fun chasing him.

The live rock I put in with him is from a well established tank so it has good beneficial bacteria on it already so hopefully I won't have an issue with nitrate spikes (might add some nitrate rock to the substrate though. I did add an aerator to the overflow (where the water intake is) cause it just didn't seem like there was enough power in the tiny power head to make enough air for him. Plus I figured it would help with any ammonia issues by helping it evaporate. He seems very happy, swims and chases the shrimp. Comes up to the glass, but his tank is boring. He was turned in with his buddy for eating corals. Although I am not sure what kind of corals and was wondering if he might do ok with something like Zoes or mushrooms to decorate his tank. I hate fake plants and want to avoid them. I have a couple of mangrove trees, but they are small and not nearly tall enough for the tank yet, plus, not sure how to root them since the substrate is relatively shallow. Seems like everything I've read says they are better as solitary fish or with their own kind due to aggression issues and nipping which is fine.

He will eventually be move to a much larger tank. Probably the 55 gallon with a HOB skimmer first, then maybe if my partner doesn't kill me, I can sneak in a 90 gallon cube tank. Have no idea where to hide it for. Current new tank is occupying the coffee table. It's one of those Fluvals by the way, has a low grade coral light, really impressed with this tank. I love my Pico tank too which is on a side table only I don't like the filtration system as it is lacking greatly, but it grows soft corals seeming with no issues.

Anyhow. Any ideas on if there are any kinds of corals I could put in there he wouldn't nip. Or would it just be trial and error? I figured no hard corals because he'd chomp them for sure, but mushrooms don't seem to attract much attention with any of my fish and most lay really flat and in the slow moving water wouldn't move around much. Or are soft corals worse? I don't want to poison him either so I want to be careful there but I would LOVE to be able to get SOME corals in this tiny tank. It's just too damn cute to remain bare.

And if it has to remain bare…what do you suggest to put in it to spruce it up. Plastic plants are obvious, but I really don't like them.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

CrayolaViolence
05/04/2016, 05:33 AM
P.s.

What should I keep his water temp at? Since they are more prone to disease I was thinking around 72.

CrayolaViolence
05/05/2016, 08:01 AM
bump, hoping for some input. Have read some people have had success with these in coral tanks some not. Was wondering if he would be less likely to nip leathers since they taste bad anyhow.