PDA

View Full Version : Water quality

EthanHawaii
05/04/2016, 10:03 AM
Hi, for awhile I have been thinking about trying an SPS coral and finally my LFS has some in, but the LFS knows that I don't use RO DI water and said I MUST use RO water or else it will not service for longer than a few months.

So I bought the 3 stage RO buddie with the sediment cartridge, activated carbon cartridge and the RO membrane. I set it up yesterday, and it seems to be working well.

But my water here is treated with 5 parts chlorine to 1 part ammonia to make chloramine, so my question is do I have enough filtration with the RO buddie to get rid of enough chloramine to be safe for SPS corals? or should I buy another carbon cartridge or a chloramine cartridge? the thing is the carbon cartridge only costs $16, well the chloramine cartridge coasts $50 bucks! so I would rather buy another carbon cartridge but I would buy the chloramine cartridge if it is necessary.

One thing I forgot to mention is if I used Prime water conditioner with the RO water would it be fine? This is all assuming that my water is not safe for SPS.

Here is the chloramine cartridge (mixed bed resin) on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Aquatic-Color-Changing-Mixed-Cartridge/dp/B00DSP57BQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462377935&sr=8-2&keywords=ro+buddie

Thank you,
Ethan

EthanHawaii
05/04/2016, 12:46 PM
Sorry I think I ment this instead of the mixed bed resin for removing chloramine. https://www.amazon.ca/Aquatic-Catalytic-Cartridge-Plant-Germination/dp/B00EPV465U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462387488&sr=8-2&keywords=kdf85%2Fgac

I have more question. After water passes through the RO system will there still be anything in the water that is harmful other than the chloramine?

steallife904
05/04/2016, 01:27 PM
you need to finish with DI resin to remove all the heavy elements. SPS is hard enough even with great water.... couldn't imagine it without a great RODI unit.

EthanHawaii
05/04/2016, 07:29 PM
Ok thanks, I think I will buy the DI resin.