PDA

View Full Version : How Long Would You QT New Coral and Inverts In A Fishless Frag Tank For ICH?

nuxx
05/04/2016, 02:35 PM
Hey everyone,

We have a 20 gallon frag tank that gets 2.5 gallons of water change water from our display each day. No way to siphon back to tank, since water is added inches above the water line.

New coral (after dipped) and inverts are placed in this tank with no fish to make sure they don't bring any fish diseases in, mainly ICH.

How long should I keep the coral and inverts in the tank for?

Originally I was thinking 30 to 45 days. I know 72 is the "safe" period, but not sure if that is needed.

Thanks!

ThRoewer
05/04/2016, 04:36 PM
6 weeks would likely be enough in most cases.

At least one ich strain can have cysts that last 72 days, so if you want to be absolutely sure, you have to go for at lest 3 months.

nuxx
05/05/2016, 10:08 AM
6 weeks would likely be enough in most cases.

At least one ich strain can have cysts that last 72 days, so if you want to be absolutely sure, you have to go for at lest 3 months.

I have some very expensive fish in our display, so I guess I'll just go 3 months.

At least the coral should be getting all the nutrients they need from the display water. Also the A160WE is tied into the A360WEs on the display, so the schedule and lighting are the same.

The 10%+ water changes a day should help as well... I'll just need to buy a ton of coral at once every 3 months.

Deinonych
05/05/2016, 10:37 AM
I have some very expensive fish in our display, so I guess I'll just go 3 months.

At least the coral should be getting all the nutrients they need from the display water. Also the A160WE is tied into the A360WEs on the display, so the schedule and lighting are the same.

The 10%+ water changes a day should help as well... I'll just need to buy a ton of coral at once every 3 months.

That's pretty much what I do...big purchases every 3 months.

nuxx
05/05/2016, 10:39 AM
That's pretty much what I do...big purchases every 3 months.

Yeah screw it if a piece of coral dies in QT...

Also switching back to 15 days of paraguard + 3 rounds of prazi then 4 weeks of cupramine on all new fish.

Waaay too much to risk in the display. First fish to go through this new QT procedure will be the Gem next week :worried:

scuzy
05/05/2016, 10:46 AM
Copper is hit or miss for me with fish. Some could withstand it some don't.

tassod
05/05/2016, 11:02 AM
My fish have been living in copper now for almost 5 months and they are as happy as can be.