PDA

View Full Version : Show me your pearly whites...

ginpang
05/05/2016, 06:50 PM
If anyone has experience with repeated spawning or would like to share their breeding attempts , I would certainly like to hear it!

To make a long story short 15 years ago I had an aquarium where everyone spawned... And never really tried to rear any of the fry ... I was too busy breeding chameleons and frogs. That tank had to be taken apart because it was leaking and all the fish had to be rehomed , sold or brought back to the fish store.

So pearly jawfish couple #1 : spawned every 5-6 weeks a few times in a row the would take a break 8-10 weeks and start over.
Never tried to raise the fry because it seemed impossible to steal his eggs.

Recently I got a small tank and got a new couple .

Couple #2 : female jumped was being chased by a mean bicolored Blenny ( now in confinement in another tank)[emoji48]

Now couple # 3 : same male , new female...
1st spawn [emoji4] is a good sign ... And though I didn't expect them to be pros on the first try , I didn't think the male would get annoyed so fast .

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/fdf71a957bbe79b2eb9c1ef482357a7c.jpg

Seems to have given up on the 4 th day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ginpang
06/29/2016, 07:31 PM
Ate the eggs again on day 4 , everyone loved the water change except him.

ThRoewer
06/29/2016, 08:34 PM
If he does it again you may have to replace him with another male.
You may also need to feed more.
I don't remember if I ever tried to raise the perlies, but I did try to raise the larvae of the pair of O. randalli (Tiger jawfish) I had back then. Of the few I could collect, one made it to 2 or 3 weeks. The issue was the food and sudden fright syndrome from feeding brine shrimp.
Generally jawfish should not be too hard to raise these days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ginpang
06/30/2016, 10:55 AM
[emoji1360] I'll try feeding more ... The last pair I had in the early 2000's used to get them to the larvae stage but it took almost a year after they started spawning until the male would last the whole way.

This one drops the egg mass to eat and picks them back up afterwards. I remember my other male taking a while to figure that out and would snack the eggs early on.

ginpang
06/30/2016, 11:11 AM
Also since I found out the yasha goby was hiding for 7 weeks from a killer pistol shrimp in the jawfish's den ... She might've participated in the eggs demise the first time.... Now she settled elsewhere.

To be continued...

gogo7
06/30/2016, 10:44 PM
i'm liking this ginpang.... all the best to you and your little fishes...

ginpang
07/01/2016, 06:10 AM
Thanks @ gogo7... After 18 months I'm still waiting on a second yasha to come in not DOA to keep her happy and out of trouble...
I bought a Dracula thinking they would perhaps be friends.... For now they're living at opposite ends of the aquarium.