PDA

View Full Version : Need help with setting up qt

biglurr54
05/06/2016, 09:59 AM
So I have officially set up my first QT tank. Ive been in the hobby for a long time but I have finally crossed over from being young and stupid to being older and wiser.

I set up a 20 gallon regular tank with a 150 watt heater, and a hob filter. I added a glass top and a light I had kicking around.

I threw in a filter sock from my main tank for bacteria kick start and I threw in a cube of Frozen Mysis for an ammonia source. We are in the cycling stage.

I have two questions about this set up.

1. Is the top off and salinity swings. In order for a top off to work a large amount of water has to evaporate to engage a float switch. In a system this small, I would assume that there would be a salinity swing that goes along with this. Is this something to be concerned about or should I stop worrying because the swings wont be that great?

2. There is a fair amount of debris on the bottom of the tank. There is still Mysis there. The filter doesn’t seem to be circulating the water to stir up the debris. Should I add a power head or bigger filter to move the water. Is the calmer water better for stressed out fish?

My solution to this is to add a wall and create an all in on tank with a small return compartment for the top of float switch and increase the pump size to get better flow. I figured I could put a piece of acrylic in the corner and put a pump in the bottom. Add some filter floss and some ceramic media for bio load.

My hesitation is that I would have to restart the cycle which im in 2 weeks to already and I want FISH!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Brieninsac
05/06/2016, 12:22 PM
Personally, I just vacuum the left over food and waste that settles on the bottom weekly when I do my w/c.

biglurr54
05/06/2016, 02:52 PM
What about top offs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Deinonych
05/06/2016, 04:24 PM
I've never worried about top-offs with QT. A glass cover will minimize significant evaporation.