PDA

View Full Version : BRS160 discussion

brett559
05/06/2016, 10:16 AM
I have absolutely loved the youtube series Bulk Reef Supply is doing this year with their BRS160. I look forward to the videos each week.

What are your thoughts? I still can't believe they don't have VorTech pumps in there. The cords bother me. That roller-mat filter sock thing is dumb. I get that they have to sell product, though.

It's almost like the bizzaro-version of Tanked. Take a whole year to slowly set up a tank, taking everything into consideration vs. dumping in boxed seawater and tossing four Achilles tangs in a phone booth tank.

The Marine Depots / Vivid Aquariums / Mr. Saltwater Tanks of the world missed out on this. This series is a brilliant idea - so much so I'm not sure how they'll be able to top it.

zsuman101
05/06/2016, 11:08 AM
It's pretty sweet, fast moving, tons of cool stuff and info. Plus how cool would it be to build a reef with everything you need just through the door to the warehouse. Oh and when $ isnt an issue. Cause this things going to be a 100k when its done. minimum

Djturna4thakidz
05/06/2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I really enjoy the videos too. Great information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terry4505
05/06/2016, 01:20 PM
I'll be honest, I've never understood the "no cords in the tank" selling point. Is it better to have your tank look like Mackey Mouse with giant mouse ears sticking off the sides of the glass? I enjoy my tank from the outside in, and don't want the outside view to be impeded

bruindave
05/06/2016, 01:37 PM
I'll be honest, I've never understood the "no cords in the tank" selling point. Is it better to have your tank look like Mackey Mouse with giant mouse ears sticking off the sides of the glass? I enjoy my tank from the outside in, and don't want the outside view to be impeded

i have fish that jump and i need a cover. cords in the tank prevent the cover from siting flush and fish can jump out a little easier through that crack.

and yes i really do like their series, i'm still learning a lot from them and seeing how i can do things better.

Brieninsac
05/06/2016, 02:31 PM
I started my tank about a month before the series started and found it very helpful. The series was more or less in sync with my evolution, even though they're doing things on a much higher level then me.

moatdaddy
05/06/2016, 02:34 PM
love the series and the company. I recommend their videos and website to newbies and others. fingers crossed petco doesn't buy them out.

sixpackgarage
05/06/2016, 02:35 PM
I love their videos. What I liked a lot was how they took a poll of all their guys that work in the office on the lighting preferences. I don't think I would personally do the toilet paper roll filter thingy, whatever, but I like the out of the box thinking that went into it. Great stuff and I think they really set the bar on how a reefing business should be.

SeattleReefer
05/06/2016, 02:49 PM
lots of good knowledge packed into those videos, although they do tend to focus on the higher end equipment as if it were the only solution to the problem.

Also, a masterful demonstration of marketing. I never would have heard of BRS had I not stumbled across one of their videos. Now I buy from them all the time. They have a customer service level the equal of Amazon itself, which is quite the achievement!

StrangeDejavu
05/06/2016, 03:10 PM
I started my tank about a month before the series started and found it very helpful. The series was more or less in sync with my evolution, even though they're doing things on a much higher level then me.

Same here. A friend told me about the planned BRS160 series about a month before I started buying equipment for my saltwater tank. As a beginner, I can no doubt credit the majority of what I know about reefing to their channel. My tank and the BRS160 are almost exactly in sync as well, so each week when a new video released, it usually covered the next chapter I was about to enter. Hopefully Ryan sees this so he knows how much the series is appreciated, especially to us newbies still feeling our way around.