PDA

View Full Version : melanurus wrasse with eye problem

Sinistard
05/07/2016, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately I think it's probably to late for him but I figured I would ask. I have a melanurus wrasse that I'd around 5 years old. Around 2 months ago a white sphere appeared in one of his eyes. I did some reading and could not figure out what it is. It looks like the lens of his eye simply turned white. Imagine a white bb setting over his pupil. It did effect his vision and I don't think he can see at all out it or at the most he can see large shapes not details. I did several large water changes to make sure my water conditions were okay and other then the eye he seemed healthy. He was eating albeit with a little difficulty only having one good eye.

A few days ago he started spending way more time under the sand and then today I noticed his other eye is developing the same sphere. It's not completely white but translucent. I'm guessing it will turn white over time. He can definitely still see as he reacts to my movements but he can't see well enough to eat. He seems to be able to see food but by they time he gets to it he loses it.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be and do you know of a treatment. Like I said I'm assuming the worst but I'm hoping some ideas. Oh and I don't think it's pop eye as nothing is swollen and I does not look like any of the picture I found online.

Thanks

jbvdhp
05/07/2016, 02:59 PM
Well I know human eyes pretty well, and what you describe sounds like a cataract, which I'm sure can happen in fish, but difficult to say without seeing pics. Can you snap a photo?

Sent using your IP address

Sinistard
05/07/2016, 03:13 PM
I will try, I'm at work now. I'll post one tomorrow if he come out if the sand. I was thinking cataracts but didn't know if they would develop that quickly or even if a fish would get them.

FullBoreReefer
05/07/2016, 09:32 PM
My melanurus had lost one of his. Woke up one day and it was completely gone, it was weird. He live for about a year after, not sure if it was age or what, but I had him for almost 2yrs before the eye issue.

Maybe a coincidence, but the wrasse I had is the only fish I've ever had that lost an eye lol

Sinistard
05/09/2016, 01:36 PM
Here is a picture of the eye that is the worst(finally came out of the sand today) His other eye has the same spot but its more translucent. He still tries to look around with both eyes and like I said there appears to be no swelling. As you can see he is getting skinny as he can't see well enough to eat. He assume he can still see big objects as he is avoiding the live rock and walls but he cant see food well enough to eat.

He has been spending most of the day in the sand and is picking at the sand trying to find food.

I am not holding out much home for him to get better. If I don't find a miraculous solution to his condition I will probably have to put him down so he does not simply starve to death.

Thanks for any ideas

http://photos.salonfrazee.com/photos/eye.jpg

jbvdhp
05/09/2016, 01:40 PM
Well, in human eyes, that's a cataract for sure, Im seeing cataracts in our older dogs too, so from your picture I would assume it's a cataract, or a tumor, which is rare and would probably present differently. I am going with cataract seeing how it appears to be the lens and behind the cornea.

Good pic btw, and I guess it could happen in fish too.

krullshards
05/09/2016, 01:53 PM
That IS a good pic. Here's a site that sounded interesting and had the following to say:

Cataracts: Fishes can also suffer from cataracts, which is a common eye disorder causing the eye lens to become opaque. Cataracts can be due to nutritional imbalance, parasitic infection, and other genetic or unknown factors. Unfortunately, there is usually no treatment for cataracts.

http://www.petmd.com/fish/conditions/eyes/c_fi_Eye_Disorders

Hah.. This is wild: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2890176/A-medical-eye-opener-Fish-cataracts-fitted-glass-eye-stop-bullied-marine-creatures.html

McPuff
03/13/2019, 07:59 PM
This is so strange but my melanurus just recently had the same thing happen to his right eye. I figured it was glaucoma but surprised at how fast it happened. One day gone, next day there it was. He seems relatively unaffected and is eating well. Hoping he doesn't get it in the other eye. Have had the fish about 6 years so far.

HumbleFish
03/13/2019, 09:19 PM
This is so strange but my melanurus just recently had the same thing happen to his right eye. I figured it was glaucoma but surprised at how fast it happened. One day gone, next day there it was. He seems relatively unaffected and is eating well. Hoping he doesn't get it in the other eye. Have had the fish about 6 years so far.

Wrasses will sometimes dart into a rock or something, and injure their eye. Dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) will usually help to relieve the swelling. If both eyes are popped out/cloudy, you may be dealing with an infection and it is best to dose an ABX such as Erythromycin or Kanaplex.

McPuff
03/14/2019, 07:09 AM
Wrasses will sometimes dart into a rock or something, and injure their eye. Dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) will usually help to relieve the swelling. If both eyes are popped out/cloudy, you may be dealing with an infection and it is best to dose an ABX such as Erythromycin or Kanaplex.

It's not swollen at all actually. That was my original thought was to treat with epsom but I don't think it would make a difference. It's been this way for about 3 weeks now with no change. Coincidentally (or maybe not) my ruby head wrasse has been hiding in a rock cave for the same time period. Doesn't even come out for food. Weird since I've had them both for about 6 years.