PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Led/T5 question!

Broly_PT
05/09/2016, 03:48 AM
Good morning friends,

I need your help, my aquarium has 120 gal, 59 inch x 23 x 23.

At this time I have a trough vertex 360 1200mm, I'm satisfied.

But I intend to add a T5 lamps to make a hybrid, my question is to add 2 bulbs 54w in the aquarium in the front or 4 x 54w lamps, 2 in the front and 2 in the back?

My vertex only have white, blue and royal blue colors,

What would be your choice of lamps? And what intensity you put in the leds?

thanks
regards

Bpb
05/09/2016, 07:46 AM
If you can fit it I would do two in front and two in back. Just makes for better coverage and spectrum filling. Even if you don't have a peninsula tank and can't see it from the back side, the corals will appreciate getting hit with t5ho lighting from all angles and will grow more symmetrically. If you're supplementing LEDs, it depends on how you like the tank to look. If you like a blue tank, I would do a blue+ and actinic bulb front and back. If you like a whiter tank I'd do an Aquablue special and purple+ front and back. Just depends on your preference. I suggested ATI bulbs but Giesemann and KZ both offer comparable bulbs to those as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayball
05/09/2016, 08:39 AM
If you can fit it I would do two in front and two in back. Just makes for better coverage and spectrum filling. Even if you don't have a peninsula tank and can't see it from the back side, the corals will appreciate getting hit with t5ho lighting from all angles and will grow more symmetrically. If you're supplementing LEDs, it depends on how you like the tank to look. If you like a blue tank, I would do a blue+ and actinic bulb front and back. If you like a whiter tank I'd do an Aquablue special and purple+ front and back. Just depends on your preference. I suggested ATI bulbs but Giesemann and KZ both offer comparable bulbs to those as well

I will just X2 what Bpb said with the addition of trying a coral+/Blue+ combo. It is a nice middleground from the two combo's he put out and covers the full spectrum.

Broly_PT
05/09/2016, 09:28 AM
Hello friends,

Thank you for your help! :)

regards

Broly_PT
05/12/2016, 04:32 PM
Hello again friends

I'm not like the aquarium 's appearance with this light combo . Very white / yellow .

Its a very silly idea like this:

Vertex Leds :
White: 0 %
Blue and Royal Blue: 100 % 10 Hours
T5 blue + 8Hours
T5 coral + 8Hours
T5 Aquablue + 8Hours
T5 coral + 8Hours

Important to note that the T5 rails are DIY wooden So the power of the T5 will not be 100 %

Or

Vertex Leds :
White: 50 % 8Hours
Blue and Royal Blue: 100 % 10 Hours
T5 blue+ 4Hours
T5 coral+ 4Hours
T5 blue+ 4Hours
T5 coral+ 4Hours

thanks

regards

Daimyo68
05/13/2016, 06:11 PM
If you don't like the white look, I wouldn't add the coral+, they produce a crisp white color to the eye. Been there done that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

rovster
05/13/2016, 06:30 PM
IMHO coral+ is far from a crisp white. I find the B+ C+ combo pretty blue. I run actinic, B+, C+, B+ and I'm thinking of swapping out for whiter bulbs. A lot of it is subjective, but I feel SPS especially blues and reds look best under whiter light.

Broly_PT
05/14/2016, 05:08 AM
hii all

My concern is about the white leds, if i need to running them or can i shutt off, if add 2 blue+ and 2 coral+

regards

jayball
05/14/2016, 08:43 AM
hii all

My concern is about the white leds, if i need to running them or can i shutt off, if add 2 blue+ and 2 coral+

regards

I would suspect you would want to run them at least at a low percentage, maybe 30-40 percent of what you use now and then adjust from there.

What percentage are your three channels at now?

Broly_PT
05/14/2016, 01:28 PM
Hii

At the moment

White 45%
Blue 90%
Royal blue 90%

And the 4 t5 tubes

What you think?

Regards

Enviado do meu LG-D802 através de Tapatalk

jayball
05/14/2016, 09:11 PM
Just a wag on my part but I think I would start with 30/75/75 and the t-5on for 4 hours for first week. Just watch your coral closely for signs of getting lighter.

Broly_PT
05/16/2016, 02:56 AM
Hii,

I had already have the led to the 45/90/90 a long time .

Because the addition of T5 I should reduce is that?

regards

jayball
05/16/2016, 07:26 AM
Hii,

I had already have the led to the 45/90/90 a long time .

Because the addition of T5 I should reduce is that?

regards

Too much light will kill coral fast, it takes a long time to kill coral with not enough light. I would both reduce your LED intensity and start with a short t-5 on period and slowely increase.

Another option is to start with only an hour on for your t-5 and increase every 5-7 days.