PDA

View Full Version : Gorgonian with many bristle stars

jjbunn
05/09/2016, 07:59 PM
The gorgonian (called a "sea fan" by the LFS) has deep red stalks and yellow polyps. After acclimating it and placing it in the tank, I noticed that each branch has at least two bristle stars clinging to it - some are red, but most are yellow. When the polyps of the coral are extended, the bristle stars are hard to make out.

I'd like to know what the bristle stars are doing there, and whether they pose a problem. Also, I'm assuming this is a non photosynthetic coral and thus requires some special treatment/feeding - what is recommended, and does this particular coral have a name?

Here is a poor photo of the coral with polyps partially open, where you can perhaps see some of the bristle stars.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/26630821360_c34ace4826_b.jpg

Thanks!

Devaji108
05/10/2016, 02:16 PM
I am by no means an expert but gorgs. are quickly becoming one of my favs.
that looks like a yellow sea feather or whip. both are photosynthetic but do benefit from feeding.

disclaimer I could be totally off here. I am sure other with far greater knowledge will chime in.
good luck its a beauty!

nathan1986
05/10/2016, 08:59 PM
Those yellow mini brittle stars look awesome! I only have the red kind of mini brittles. As far as the red ones go they are harmless, beneficial little scavengers. Mine multilpy quickly. Going to have to look up the yellow ones now!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

jjbunn
05/10/2016, 10:44 PM
Those yellow mini brittle stars look awesome! I only have the red kind of mini brittles. As far as the red ones go they are harmless, beneficial little scavengers. Mine multilpy quickly. Going to have to look up the yellow ones now!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

They are exceedingly cute! I'm hoping a few migrate off the coral and into the rest of the tank :bounce2:

mark54321
05/11/2016, 07:07 AM
Your gorgonian looks like menella sp. , it is NPS and does require multiple feedings through out the day. IMO those little brittle stars are not harmful at all, i have few in my tank as well.

jjbunn
05/11/2016, 11:23 AM
Your gorgonian looks like menella sp. , it is NPS and does require multiple feedings through out the day. IMO those little brittle stars are not harmful at all, i have few in my tank as well.

Thanks for the id ... what would you recommend as food?

jjbunn
05/11/2016, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the id ... what would you recommend as food?

I found the information I need in the NPS sticky: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16979863&postcount=22

kimyatingi
05/16/2016, 01:43 PM
I have some gorgonians,including Menella,in my non-photo reef tank.I recommend food such as Reef Pearls(5-200 micron),Reef Roids by PolypLab and I highly recommend to You to use Nauplii of the Brine shrimp Artemia as a food

Отправлено с моего SM-G850F через Tapatalk

jjbunn
05/16/2016, 01:54 PM
I have some gorgonians,including Menella,in my non-photo reef tank.I recommend food such as Reef Pearls(5-200 micron),Reef Roids by PolypLab and I highly recommend to You to use Nauplii of the Brine shrimp Artemia as a food

Thanks so much ... the Reef Pearls seem to be hard to come by, so I ordered some Reef Roids. My Menella is not doing very well, so I hope this food will perk it up a bit.

kimyatingi
05/16/2016, 03:31 PM
You're welcome!Just be carefool with feedings-that kind of plancton food can make your phosphates and nitrates fly so high!That's the problem with having NPSes-You have to feed them well,so it makes your water parametres not so good.

calk me Q
05/29/2016, 11:14 AM
Definitely menella sp. which is a starter NPS(anyway pls have a reference on the sticky threads) I had mine for over 6 months and feed a lot.