PDA

View Full Version : Toxcicity?

ThRoewer
05/09/2016, 11:51 PM
Sunday night I set up a new QT for another BSJ and 8 barnacle blennies. I used old DT water, a cup ful of sand and gravel from my BSJ tank and a few dry Real Reef Rocks.

When I went to bed all was fine, but when I checked on them the next morning the jawfish looked like he was ready to die and the barnacle blennies didn't look much better. Some where even try to jump out.

I checked for ammonia but it was 0. Just in case I added a dose of Amquel.

The sand could be ruled out - my other two BSJ are doing fine.

The water couldn't be it either as my new pair of blue stripe pipefish was unaffected in their tank that got the same water.

The filter and heater were used before on a 5 gallon tank where 4 of the blennies were in, so it's unlikely that they suddenly got toxic.

The only possibility left were the rocks.

I removed the rocks and did a 100% water change before going to work. The blennies improved quickly, but the jawfish looked still bad when I left.

I wasn't expecting much good when coming home, but everyone was doing OK. The BSJ hasn't quite regained his previous appetite but is otherwise doing well.

I'm kind baffled by this and wonder what precisely could have caused this reaction?

scuzy
05/10/2016, 01:00 AM
Were the rocks used somewhere before?