PDA

View Full Version : My HORRID adventure with Eheim! (Please help)

ReefMagician
05/10/2016, 09:05 AM
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the hobby and everyone has been praising Eheim up and down in the reef community. Today, I have less than stellar service to report. Here is how it went down:

March 27: I bought 2 eheim 200w Jagers from BRS.

April 11: After about a week of use, 1 of the heaters had a leak. (pic attached)

April 11: Gwen at eheim sent me a replacement heater.

May 4th: The replacement heater stops working. It wouldn't heat up. At first I thought it was my aquarium controller so I plugged it into an outlet. It burned the outlet black (pic attached). I thought that was weird, so i tried it on a power strip on a separate outlet and breaker. After about 2 minutes, I started hearing sizzling and smelt a burned plastic smell. The heater had been burning through the power strip.

May 5th: Obviously the heater is broken. I contacted Eheim again and corresponded with Gwen. She sent me a new heater.

May 10th: I got the new heater. but guess what? The replacement heater's box had been opened and the power cord had been cut (pics attached)

I am truly shocked that such a well regarded company can get away with this. If the mods will allow it, I can post my email communication with Gwen (Eheim representative). She has been nice but this is just wow...

PS: I am posting this to the 3 reefing communities I am a part of as a warning, I guess.

Bpb
05/10/2016, 10:25 AM
Bummer. You're clearly meant not to own an eheim jäger heater. I love mine. Has been rock solid for 5 years now... But your streak of 4-5 lemons in a row would turn me off too. Try a cobalt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pablos RSM 450
05/10/2016, 10:38 AM
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the hobby and everyone has been praising Eheim up and down in the reef community. Today, I have less than stellar service to report. Here is how it went down:

March 27: I bought 2 eheim 200w Jagers from BRS.

April 11: After about a week of use, 1 of the heaters had a leak. (pic attached)

April 11: Gwen at eheim sent me a replacement heater.

May 4th: The replacement heater stops working. It wouldn't heat up. At first I thought it was my aquarium controller so I plugged it into an outlet. It burned the outlet black (pic attached). I thought that was weird, so i tried it on a power strip on a separate outlet and breaker. After about 2 minutes, I started hearing sizzling and smelt a burned plastic smell. The heater had been burning through the power strip.

May 5th: Obviously the heater is broken. I contacted Eheim again and corresponded with Gwen. She sent me a new heater.

May 10th: I got the new heater. but guess what? The replacement heater's box had been opened and the power cord had been cut (pics attached)

I am truly shocked that such a well regarded company can get away with this. If the mods will allow it, I can post my email communication with Gwen (Eheim representative). She has been nice but this is just wow...

PS: I am posting this to the 3 reefing communities I am a part of as a warning, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I was thinking about getting 2 Eheim Heaters for my system but after mixed reviews I chose to go with Won Brothers 500W Titanium Heater hooked up to my Apex. A real good alternative is the Aqueon Pro heaters they are shatter proof and do NOT have any glass components. I have the 250W as a back up.

ReefMagician
05/10/2016, 11:23 AM
Bummer. You're clearly meant not to own an eheim jäger heater. I love mine. Has been rock solid for 5 years now... But your streak of 4-5 lemons in a row would turn me off too. Try a cobalt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The low profile cobalts look good but I have also seen horrible things about them.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I was thinking about getting 2 Eheim Heaters for my system but after mixed reviews I chose to go with Won Brothers 500W Titanium Heater hooked up to my Apex. A real good alternative is the Aqueon Pro heaters they are shatter proof and do NOT have any glass components. I have the 250W as a back up.

I'll probably never buy eheim after this again. I understand mistakes happen but this is ridiculous.

GimpyFin
05/10/2016, 11:53 AM
That sucks to hear. I have about 3 or 4 Eheim jagers and have never had a problem with any of them. They do sometimes need to be re-calibrated when you first get them, but I've never seen or heard of the type of issues you've experienced.

ostrow
05/10/2016, 12:15 PM
Heaters -- all of them -- are well-documented as the least reliable piece of equipment in the hobby. I'll never again own a Won or Finnex, that is for certain. I only use Eheims but replace them every year in January.

All heater brands have many issues reported. Given how critical they are to the hobby, it is astonishing that better ones have not been engineered. It is mind-boggling.

ReefMagician
05/10/2016, 12:26 PM
Heaters -- all of them -- are well-documented as the least reliable piece of equipment in the hobby. I'll never again own a Won or Finnex, that is for certain. I only use Eheims but replace them every year in January.

All heater brands have many issues reported. Given how critical they are to the hobby, it is astonishing that better ones have not been engineered. It is mind-boggling.

I agree 110% however, I expect them to last more than 1~3 weeks. Specially so many of them. It seems like a QC problem.

ostrow
05/10/2016, 01:08 PM
I agree 110% however, I expect them to last more than 1~3 weeks. Specially so many of them. It seems like a QC problem.

Yeah. I post the same thing in every heater thread. Usually I copy and paste. People need to know it's all brands. But you are correct that immediate failure especially on Eheim is troubling (Finnex and Won, I've had similar).

pauls
05/10/2016, 01:13 PM
That is a joke ! I used heaters about 20 years ago that were 10 - 20 years of age with NO problems. Now people replace them EVER year :)

Bent
05/10/2016, 01:59 PM
I still have heaters that are 20+ years old and still in use. I bought them when I was 13-15 years old with my lawn mowing money.

pfan151
05/10/2016, 02:03 PM
Definitely put a ranco thermostat on any brand of heater. Just not worth the risk without one.

tkeracer619
05/11/2016, 01:05 AM
Definitely put a ranco thermostat on any brand of heater. Just not worth the risk without one.

+1

Personally I don't use anything other than eheim. Crazy stroke of bad luck!

Definitely wouldn't use a plastic heater.