PDA

View Full Version : how to connect braided hose to rigid pvc?

mntbiker2008
05/10/2016, 11:56 AM
I have searched and searched but didn't find a good straight answer. I am about to plumb my new 40b to my sump (only about a 3ft length). I am wanting to use the clear braided vinyl tubing and have the rigid pvc extend out just enough to make a hose connection for the main connections (at the return pump and at the bulkheads).

I haven't been able to find any barb/threaded adapters in 1" or 3/4". Would something like a rubber coupling (if I can find one that small) work?

This is the hose I am using
http://www.lowes.com/pd_652384-71925-10066PNL___?productId=50315895&pl=1&Ntt=braided+hose

GimpyFin
05/10/2016, 12:29 PM
HD, Lowes, ACE carry barbed fittings and thread adapters for PVC. My return pump is hooked up this way. I have 1" rigid PVC run from the bulkhead to just above the pump and then a female thread adapter is glued on the end and a male threaded barb fitting into that with a small piece of vinyl tube connecting to the pump.

Esquare
05/10/2016, 12:40 PM
They also have pvc socket to barb fittings.

mntbiker2008
05/10/2016, 12:41 PM
HD, Lowes, ACE carry barbed fittings and thread adapters for PVC. My return pump is hooked up this way. I have 1" rigid PVC run from the bulkhead to just above the pump and then a female thread adapter is glued on the end and a male threaded barb fitting into that with a small piece of vinyl tube connecting to the pump.

I will have to check at home depot and ace for them. I looked for a good 45 mins at my local lowes but didn't find the barbed adapters.

Is there anything wrong with doing the tubing basically the full length except for at the connections?

Esquare
05/10/2016, 12:44 PM
The gray hose barb fittings are by the black flexible abs hose and the sprinklers. The white socket to barb fittings are in the pvc section. I have found Lowes to generally have a better selection of plumbing stuff.

dt204
05/10/2016, 12:45 PM
If you are having difficulty at the big hardware stores, any good plumbing companies will have those fittings in stock. Look in your local business directory for plumbing contractors.
And when you do find them, remember that heating up your braided line under the tap will help you slide it on. I've found the braided line is more difficult to get on than standard vinyl.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mntbiker2008
05/10/2016, 12:56 PM
The gray hose barb fittings are by the black flexible abs hose and the sprinklers. The white socket to barb fittings are in the pvc section. I have found Lowes to generally have a better selection of plumbing stuff.
I will check there. I never thought about that area. thank you!
If you are having difficulty at the big hardware stores, any good plumbing companies will have those fittings in stock. Look in your local business directory for plumbing contractors.
And when you do find them, remember that heating up your braided line under the tap will help you slide it on. I've found the braided line is more difficult to get on than standard vinyl.

Awesome thank you! If the big box stores don't have them, I will definitely find a local company. Also, thank you for the tip on heating the hose up. I have messed up so many fingers trying to slide hose on to barbed fittings. :headwally:

billdogg
05/10/2016, 01:09 PM
dip the end of the line in a pan of boiling water for a couple minutes and it will slide right on. If you can, then run the tubing and connector under ice cold water to shrink fit it on. You will have to cut it off to disconnect it.

Also - www.savko.com and www.usplastics.com for all your oddball fitting needs

GimpyFin
05/10/2016, 01:11 PM
Yes, the gray pvc barbs are usually not with the rest of the white PVC fittings and couplers. (The Lowes by me has them 1 aisle over near the copper piping/fittings and the larger black ABS drain piping.)

mntbiker2008
05/10/2016, 01:20 PM
dip the end of the line in a pan of boiling water for a couple minutes and it will slide right on. If you can, then run the tubing and connector under ice cold water to shrink fit it on. You will have to cut it off to disconnect it.

Also - www.savko.com and www.usplastics.com for all your oddball fitting needs
great idea! Thank you!

Yes, the gray pvc barbs are usually not with the rest of the white PVC fittings and couplers. (The Lowes by me has them 1 aisle over near the copper piping/fittings and the larger black ABS drain piping.)
I will stop by there this evening and see if I can track those down. Thank you!

asdfghp
05/10/2016, 02:01 PM
Someone, please correct me. Here's my story:

At my local hardware store I found the usual gray PVC barb fitting (1/2"npt x 1/2"barb) and compared it to the white nylon fitting of same size & style ....... only to find the barbs are NOT the same size. The npt threads were fine.
1/2" clear vinyl tubing fits the white fitting just fine. However, the same tubing is not going on the gray fitting without undo force and/or heating.
conversely ........
1/2" black polyhose is all loosey-goosey on the white fitting; and fits the black fitting just fine.

I repeated this same test fit at Lowes AND Home Depot plumbing departments. Same results ... the gray PVC barb is much larger!!

Whats going on? Isn't a 1/2 barb = 1/2" barb = 1/2 barb? Am I seeing two different industry standards?
Do I have to get out of the house more often?

dt204
05/10/2016, 02:10 PM
Lol I've also noticed a different 'fit' between the pvc and nylon barbs. From what a plumber told me once, it has to do with pressure. One can withstand more than then other. I can't remember which is which for the life of me though.

Hoses also fit a little different too. As was mentioned earlier, the braided lines seem to fit way tighter than a straight vinyl one does

asdfghp
05/10/2016, 02:25 PM
Ya ..... the braided/reinforced hoses need a dip in hot water; then they fit the white fitting just fine.
But, its not a pleasant experience with the gray fittings; under any circumstance.
I might venture a postulate that the barbs on gray fittings are to be used only with black polyhose.

bhbell
05/10/2016, 06:21 PM
Just a side note. When I use the clear/braid hose I then cover it with a split loom wire wrap. Algae seeks those hard to clean places like these hoses. Covering them with the split loom is quick and easy, a lot easier than trying to clean the hose after the fact. In general the next size up fits just about right.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

ezerasurfr
05/11/2016, 06:49 AM
You can look for the barb fittings by the irrigation system parts. That's where I found them in my local HDs.

monkeyruler90
05/11/2016, 10:33 PM
sometimes you have to custom order them through lowes. they have a little catalog in the irrigation area where you can get them shipped straight to your house

mntbiker2008
05/12/2016, 10:06 AM
thank you everyone for the help! Ended up going to a local plumbing store to find what I needed!

dt204
05/12/2016, 11:47 AM
Perfect. Glad to help