PDA

View Full Version : Parasites?

killagoby
05/10/2016, 01:53 PM
The other night my Yellow Eye Kole Tang turned pale white and started gasping for air. It lasted only a few hours then he regained his color. Today he has a few white blotches on his head similar to HLLE and his poop is white. He's still swimming pretty normal, and eating a ton of food. Mostly nori, Formula 2, and off of the live rock and glass. Thoughts?

snorvich
05/10/2016, 03:14 PM
When was last wet item added to this tank.?

killagoby
05/10/2016, 03:53 PM
Today. A few frags of SPS

A week ago I added a couple of frags of soft corals

snorvich
05/10/2016, 04:13 PM
I am always suspicious of any wet items added within a month as they may bring parasites. However with soft corals, Allelopathy may be an issue.

killagoby
05/10/2016, 04:22 PM
What's Alleopathy?

He's pooping green now after eating a sheet of nori

snorvich
05/10/2016, 04:31 PM
What's Alleopathy?

From Wiki:

Allelopathy is a biological phenomenon by which an organism produces one or more biochemicals that influence the germination, growth, survival, and reproduction of other organisms. These biochemicals are known as allelochemicals and can have beneficial (positive allelopathy) or detrimental (negative allelopathy) effects on the target organisms and the community. Allelochemicals are a subset of secondary metabolites, which are not required for metabolism (i.e. growth, development and reproduction) of the allelopathic organism. Allelochemicals with negative allelopathic effects are an important part of plant defense against herbivory.

killagoby
05/10/2016, 08:37 PM
Would he have to eat the soft coral for this to happen? Both he and my Starry Blenny picked on some of the leathers

killagoby
05/10/2016, 09:00 PM
Also, my toadstool leather isn't looking too good. It had some polyp extension, but now it's polyps are retracted and it's shiny on top. It's away from my SPSs, on the bottom of the tank in moderate flow, but from what I understand they can get pretty toxic correct?