PDA

View Full Version : Parasite treatment conundrum guys

EI Gringo
05/10/2016, 03:51 PM
OK guys so please please help me...
I bought a jewel puffer and all has been well with the tank mates, my problem is parasites...
He came in and I noticed a fluke type thing on his face so I manually removed it and thought nothing more of it.
Within a week he was covered in them so I freshwater dipped him.
Now a couple of weeks later and he's covered again.

My mantis reef is all connected so I can't nuke it all with copper for killing the mantis.

I don't want to keep dipping the puffer because that'll stress him out and he'll hate me for it.

I can't put a parasite picking shrimp in there because the peacock or the puffer will just chomp it, I could get a cleaner wrasse but I would need to eventually rehome it.

Only invert safe treatment I have found only treats white spot.

Does anybody have a solution/know a treatment I can use for my system? Please help guys if you have anything on this as I'm really stuck.

EI Gringo
05/10/2016, 05:06 PM
Freshwater dipped the puffer again. Here is a picture of the weird flat sucky things after they fell off

Hadla
05/13/2016, 05:54 AM
Post at thepufferforum.com :)

EI Gringo
05/13/2016, 03:04 PM
I don't like the people on any other forum :L
I've treated with an invert safe treatment I bought online and I've put the temperature up to 28, fingers crossed I cure this problem for good because I love this puffer and it gets on so well with the peacock mantis

Hadla
05/13/2016, 11:45 PM
Oh ok, hope it works out

Martini5788
05/14/2016, 09:13 PM
What about a formalin dip instead? And treat the tank with prazipro? If that doesn't work then maybe levimasole or fenbendazole. Those might be safe for inverts, would kill bristle worms and feather dusters though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EI Gringo
05/15/2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks martini, prazipro will be the next thing I turn to if the treatment I'm using doesn't sort it, fingers crossed however, it seems to be improving the situation hugely already

jbvdhp
05/16/2016, 06:34 PM
Those look like flukes for sure. Prazi Pro should help and is reported to be reef safe. Good luck!

EI Gringo
05/17/2016, 02:50 AM
They are nasty little translucent rippley things. I'm glad to have a second opinion them being flukes though because that gives me confidence that the treatment will work being that this is not an unusual parasite. I've finished the course now so I'm going to turn my hydras back on and hope for the best!

OrionN
05/28/2016, 08:59 AM
Does cleaner shrimps eat these ectoparasites?

EI Gringo
05/28/2016, 05:24 PM
I'm 100% sure a puffer, filefish and a peacock will only see the shrimp as food :/

Calappidae
06/06/2016, 11:09 AM
Does cleaner shrimps eat these ectoparasites?

They do, but they're not a cure for it. They don't do enough (killing spawns of the parasite, eradicating it fast enough before spread, getting deeper specimens in the tissue, etc) for them to even be a noticable solution to the problem.

Them cleaning something in a home aquarium is mostly just for show sadly.

EI Gringo
06/07/2016, 02:54 PM
Just an update... Problem continues to reappear. Puffer had to be dipped AGAIN yesterday because I noticed yet another fluke type parasite on him and some kind of velvet on his top fin making his top fin fairly useless, he has recovered today. I have ordered yet more oodinex treatment and it seems I will just have to keep dosing this stuff and hope for the best, I have my favourite fish, my favourite invert and they're living happily together, he'll even the big damsels get on with them all, not giving up on this.