PDA

View Full Version : TBS Shrimp ID / Experience

jefra
05/11/2016, 07:49 AM
I recently had to remove all of my rock from TBS in my 20 gallon to combat an aiptasia outbreak that I believe was introduced from an undipped Zoa colony (it wasn't plugged and the rock seemed too nice to dip - dumb dumb dumb). The TBS rock is alive and well in another tank of mine. I drained the tank and sterilized it with a gallon of hydrogen peroxide, which I considered to be overkill. I unplugged it and it sat with no water or power for over two weeks.

This morning I picked the tank up to hose off residual sand grains and salt creep in the backyard. As I was doing so, I was amazed to see a small shrimp that had survived in maybe 0.5" water in the sump chamber, even after being exposed to a high H2O2 concentration and no filtration for over for two weeks.

I've tentatively placed this indestructible shrimp in the sump of main tank until I can confirm the ID. It has pretty pronounced pincers so I'm thinking it's a young pistol shrimp. I'm still amazed that this shrimp I never knew existed survived. I will never turn to "regular" live rock again since the biodiversity provided by TBS just continues to impress me.

http://i.imgur.com/g6U8uiW.png?1

d2mini
05/11/2016, 09:37 AM
That's your standard pistol shrimp.
Good little guy. Shouldn't be a problem.

liverock
05/12/2016, 01:58 PM
I recently had to remove all of my rock from TBS in my 20 gallon to combat an aiptasia outbreak that I believe was introduced from an undipped Zoa colony (it wasn't plugged and the rock seemed too nice to dip - dumb dumb dumb). The TBS rock is alive and well in another tank of mine. I drained the tank and sterilized it with a gallon of hydrogen peroxide, which I considered to be overkill. I unplugged it and it sat with no water or power for over two weeks.

This morning I picked the tank up to hose off residual sand grains and salt creep in the backyard. As I was doing so, I was amazed to see a small shrimp that had survived in maybe 0.5" water in the sump chamber, even after being exposed to a high H2O2 concentration and no filtration for over for two weeks.

I've tentatively placed this indestructible shrimp in the sump of main tank until I can confirm the ID. It has pretty pronounced pincers so I'm thinking it's a young pistol shrimp. I'm still amazed that this shrimp I never knew existed survived. I will never turn to "regular" live rock again since the biodiversity provided by TBS just continues to impress me.

http://i.imgur.com/g6U8uiW.png?1

That is as big as they get, little more than 1/4-1/2 inch ...they are the ones that make the POP..that you hear...like a mantis...