PDA

View Full Version : Lime Green Mantis Shrimp

Bugboy2020
05/11/2016, 09:52 AM
I've been reading up a lot, and I think I wan to put a Lime Green Mantis in my 5 gallon. I'm going to begin cycling today, and I'd like to know as much as possible before I get the Mantis in a few months. Should I put in a small CUC, or should I try to wean the Mantis unto Frozen foods? Also, what size PCP pipe should I get for my Mantis?

Hadla
05/12/2016, 01:15 AM
Also, what size PCP pipe should I get for my Mantis?

:0 he's an addict and you're encouraging it?

nmotz
05/12/2016, 12:11 PM
You really don't need a PVC pipe for "small green mantis shrimp." They don't get too big so you can either provide them with some substrate to burrow into or give them some porous live rock and they'll hammer out a burrow. PVC pipe can be an eyesore unless you decorate it appropriately, so I would just go without it unless you're getting a Peacock and it doesn't sound like you are.

Your choice of food is up to you. I like to watch them hunt, but they'll take whatever they are given. I had an N. Oerstedii that loved to hunt small snails, but he would also take frozen shrimp when it was offered to him.

Bugboy2020
05/12/2016, 02:53 PM
Lol. I'm never going to post create a post while tired again:jester:
Anyhow! I don't have much live rock, nor space. So I figured to make the lil Mantis comfortable in his new home, I'd give him a small burrow(Of PVC pipe:facepalm:)

nmotz
05/13/2016, 12:06 PM
He'll be fine in a pipe that is about 1.5x his width. So if he is 1 inch wide, get a 1.5 inch pipe.