PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue tang has White dots, not ich? (Quarantine for weeks)

houstonreefer20
05/11/2016, 10:46 AM
ok, I just noticed this and am a bit confused.

Basically about 2 months ago, I noticed my fish in my new tank had ich. So as per advice here, I decided to reset the whole tank.

While resetting the tank, I did tank transfer method ALONG WITH Hypo salinity to all my tangs, using two 40 gallon breeders.

I even did 1 extra round of TTM to be safe. Afterwards, the fish looked great for many many weeks. At the same time, I havent had time fully restarting my DT (I was doing modifications), so the fish have been sitting in the 40 gallon breeder. About once a week, I do a 100% water change to help stop ammonia growing/tank cycling.

I'm still not done with my DT, but expect to get it started back up and cycling within a week. Today, however, I was looking closely at the fish, and I notice that the powder blue has what appears to have a few white spots/dots. I tried getting pics, but couldnt get a good one.

Given I was very careful/anal with my TTM + hypo, and the tangs have been in quarantine for almost 2 months, I'm a bit confused as to what it could be. I've noticed lately my powder brown and powder blue have been fighting/chasing each other often, and nibling. Could the white just be scuffs from nibling? It does look very similar to ich. I think the cause of whatever it is could be either fighting with the powder brown, OR a degradation in water quality/increased ammonia, since I havent been able to do a 100% water change for 2 weeks now (will do tonight). Could water quality case this, if it's not ich?

Would appreciate any ideas!

scuzy
05/11/2016, 10:59 AM
well is the white big spots? does it look fungal? if it's large and hanging on fins and stuff could be lympho.

ThRoewer
05/11/2016, 11:03 AM
Pictures would be helpful.

houstonreefer20
05/11/2016, 11:05 AM
Ill try again to get pictures, I dont have high hopes. The spots are not big. They are small, maybe a 1-2mm across. Dont look Fungal. These fish have been in Quarantine for 2 months, I'd be surprised if it's fungus.

scuzy
05/11/2016, 11:08 AM
how did you do ttm ? whats your procedure and stuff?

houstonreefer20
05/11/2016, 11:13 AM
Ok I was able to successfully get one. I also noticed the powder brown has similar markings (These are the 2 that have been fighting). See attached pics. Sorry they're a bit blurry. But look at the right side of the powder blue, towards the tail, mid section. You can also see some up front towards the eye.

scuzy
05/11/2016, 12:14 PM
Those look like ich but still too blurry to tell. How did you do the ttm and hypo?

houstonreefer20
05/11/2016, 12:29 PM
It does look like ich, but I'll be shocked if it is. I read the TTM thread very thoroughly and think I did it right. My process consisted of (with all water at .09 salinity):

1. Have 2 sets of equipment. 2 tanks, heaters, filters, and sets of pvc tubing.
2. Transfer fish into a 'fresh' tank with clean equipment. When transferring fish, very very minimal water is transfered - the fish were more or less strained.
3. Wait ~72 hours. During this time, clean old tank with water/hose, and let air dry. I ensure everything is try for at least 24 hours.
4. Before 72 hours, setup the extra tank, and transfer over the fish again.
5. I did the above 5 times.

Could it be possible to be from low water quality or the fish fighting?

snorvich
05/11/2016, 03:00 PM
How close to 72 hours?

houstonreefer20
05/11/2016, 03:37 PM
Around 70 hour mark or so

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jbvdhp
05/11/2016, 03:42 PM
Are the spots getting larger in size? Increasing in number? Do the fish flash?

Sent using your IP address

houstonreefer20
05/11/2016, 03:42 PM
I caught them for a new round of TTM and got a better picture. See below. http://i.imgur.com/LnEl6ds.jpg

UncleSalt
05/13/2016, 08:26 AM
I'm going to go with Ich.

houstonreefer20
05/13/2016, 10:13 AM
Ugh, really hoping it wasnt ich. I did TTM by the book, to the extreme really. This is making me want to do copper instead, since I feel like that's less difficult to screw up.

jbvdhp
05/13/2016, 01:07 PM
Ugh, really hoping it wasnt ich. I did TTM by the book, to the extreme really. This is making me want to do copper instead, since I feel like that's less difficult to screw up.

Does it exhibit any symptoms of flashing or scratching?

houstonreefer20
05/13/2016, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure what flashing is, but I dont seem to notice it scratching.

kenith
05/13/2016, 06:17 PM
For the ttm, what equipment are you using? Power heads can de difficult to dry out completely. For what it's worth, I've done many many ttm using bleach and rinse method. It makes me feel better about knowing its 100% clean.

jbvdhp
05/14/2016, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure what flashing is, but I dont seem to notice it scratching.

Flashing is scratching, rubbing on rocks or glass

houstonreefer20
05/15/2016, 01:37 PM
Got it - nope, no flashing or scratching.