PDA

View Full Version : Can I microwave my pvc elbows to kill parasites?

2000se
05/11/2016, 05:09 PM
like title says .. can I put all my plastic in the microwave to kill all these bugs? What would it not kill? How long would it take in the microwave?

I know I microwave my kitchen sponge for 2mins to sterilize it...

ThRoewer
05/11/2016, 06:11 PM
Not a good idea. Dishwasher works better.

2000se
05/11/2016, 06:53 PM
Not a good idea. Dishwasher works better.

you don't worry about all that crap getting on your other dishes? just wondering and learning..

ThRoewer
05/11/2016, 07:19 PM
What crap?
I would worry more about the crap from the dishes getting on the aquarium stuff.
In any case the PVC should be cleaned before sterilization. I usually clean equipment roughly and then dump it into a container with bleach. That usually makes it look shiny and new. After that I usually wash it again and let it dry, but running it through the dishwasher should also work for non electrical components.

2000se
05/11/2016, 07:24 PM
What crap?

lol.. i dunno..just stuff.. but i get you.

A rough cleaning would fix all that you're right and dishwasher it goes!.. Thanks !

LobsterOfJustice
05/12/2016, 06:39 AM
Personally, if I was running it in the dishwasher I would run the aquarium items in a load by themselves without detergent.

I have run PVC elbows in the dryer on medium heat (on a rack) to sterilize as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B
05/12/2016, 09:05 AM
Microwaving is not a good option. Microwaves are emitted in waves and would not cover things evenly in a microwave. My wife once was microwaving some greens from the garden and we noticed a caterpillar walking around in the microwave. I removed it but I assume eventually it would have gotten nuked by a wave. If a caterpillar can survive, I am sure so can parasites.

mav3rick478
05/12/2016, 09:13 AM
Why not use a baby bottle sterilizer in the microwave, I would think that would be your best bet. It keeps the elbows contained and doses a hell of a job killing everything.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

jbvdhp
05/12/2016, 09:20 AM
Actually...

Microwaving is a great way to kill microbes, but things have to be damp/wet.

Microbiology taught me to microwave the pot scrubbers/scouring pads/dish sponges for 2 minutes while damp. I still do that until today.

So not sure why people are saying not too. Microwaves work by vibrating water molecules so if the parasites have water molecules in them, which they do, then they get nuked.

Ps... I've microwaved pvc parts in a bowl of water, boiled them, haven't used the dishwasher yet but I assume boiling is more effective- yet it could distort the plastic (it has)

Sent using your IP address

mav3rick478
05/12/2016, 09:44 AM
That's why I suggested a baby bottle sterilizer to the OP.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Greybeard
05/12/2016, 12:30 PM
How 'bout a dip in bleach? Kills about anything...

MondoBongo
05/12/2016, 01:44 PM
i dump a bunch of bleach in my TTM tank (after the fish is removed, of course) and let it soak for 8 - 10 hours, then pull the pvc and heater out, rinse them off in tap water, dry with a paper towel, then let them air dry for at least 24 hours before re-use.

personally i wouldn't want nasty fish stuff in my dishwasher that is dripping with prazi and god knows what else, and certainly wouldn't want soap or anything leftover from the dishwasher getting on my fish stuff.

ThRoewer
05/13/2016, 01:41 AM
Actually...

Microwaving is a great way to kill microbes, but things have to be damp/wet.

Microbiology taught me to microwave the pot scrubbers/scouring pads/dish sponges for 2 minutes while damp. I still do that until today.

So not sure why people are saying not too. Microwaves work by vibrating water molecules so if the parasites have water molecules in them, which they do, then they get nuked.

Ps... I've microwaved pvc parts in a bowl of water, boiled them, haven't used the dishwasher yet but I assume boiling is more effective- yet it could distort the plastic (it has)

Sent using your IP address

I'm saying no to microwaves because I ruined several of my small acrylic tanks in it. Thermoplastics like acrylic and PVC start deforming at 70° C, an you get over that in an instant. Glass and ceramic is fine, but I wouldn't try to sterilize plastic parts in it anymore.

I usually just soak my equipment in bleach and then wash it.
But the dishwasher works well too. It gets hot enough to kill protozoan cysts and most bacteria, but not hot enough to damage most plastics.

2000se
05/13/2016, 11:12 AM
I dunno, I was just thinking that if I had a few elbows or pvc parts I could just wash them in hot/soap water in the sink and while they were still wet toss them into the microwave. It would dry them and sterilize them at the same time. I guess sponges/towels and things that will impart steam would probably be best in the microwave, but maybe the hard plastics would not.

jbvdhp
05/13/2016, 11:29 AM
I dunno, I was just thinking that if I had a few elbows or pvc parts I could just wash them in hot/soap water in the sink and while they were still wet toss them into the microwave. It would dry them and sterilize them at the same time. I guess sponges/towels and things that will impart steam would probably be best in the microwave, but maybe the hard plastics would not.

Yup, I've boiled PVC and it warped quickly.

I'm saying no to microwaves because I ruined several of my small acrylic tanks in it. Thermoplastics like acrylic and PVC start deforming at 70° C, an you get over that in an instant. Glass and ceramic is fine, but I wouldn't try to sterilize plastic parts in it anymore.

I usually just soak my equipment in bleach and then wash it.

But the dishwasher works well too. It gets hot enough to kill protozoan cysts and most bacteria, but not hot enough to damage most plastics.

I've done short bursts of microwave for PVC, 20-30 seconds but I find air drying is simplest.

xanthurum
05/13/2016, 10:38 PM
Just soak them in fresh water. Saltwater parasites, diseases and fungus can't survive in FW.

ThRoewer
05/14/2016, 12:59 AM
... Saltwater parasites, diseases and fungus can't survive in FW.

That's flat out wrong. Who told you that?
Cryptocaryon cysts can handle freshwater quite well for a good while. Other pathogens can live in fresh or saltwater.

xanthurum
05/14/2016, 06:24 AM
What is a good while? What pathogens can survive in both? Not trying to sound rude just trying to learn.

MondoBongo
05/14/2016, 07:19 AM
What is a good while? What pathogens can survive in both? Not trying to sound rude just trying to learn.
18 hours. Apparently.

"Studies have shown that*Cryptocaryon*cysts, which are known as trophonts, can withstand short-term exposure to low salinities. In fact, they can survive in freshwater for up to 18 hours"

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/salt-in-fresh.aspx

I usually go with bleach water soak for about 8 - 10 hours, time permitting, and always at least 24 hour air dry time.

xanthurum
05/14/2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks I usually soak for at least 24 hours and then let the dry. Plus I use tap water when I do and I am sure the chlorine/chloramine would also help.

LobsterOfJustice
05/14/2016, 09:04 PM
I had been doing a 24hr tap water soak followed by complete drying under the assumption that 24hr tap water would kill saltwater parasites. Recently started adding 20ml/5g bleach to the 24hr tap water soak just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk