PDA

View Full Version : chemiclean making my skimmer go nuts

ibrat82
05/12/2016, 12:01 PM
I've had to resort to chemiclean for my cyano issues. tried everything more flow, less feeding, removing manually, it just keeps coming back. So I've resorted to chemiclean but as soon as I put it in the tank the skimmer is going nuts and keeps overflowing every minute I emptied the cup like 8 times and have had to replace the lost water with fresh saltwater but it it just won't stop overflowing. should I just let the skimmer overflow? I've literally turned the control knob to fully open and still overflowing like mad.

ReefsandGeeks
05/12/2016, 12:23 PM
The skimmer should be turned off during the use of chemiclean, and an airstone used instead for oxygenation (a must for chemiclean use). I just finished using it in my tank as well. Once I was ready to get it out after a few days, I tried skimming but literally skimmed a few gallons of water out and got nowhere. Then I added carbon back to my filter and let it run for a day, then the skimmer was still overflowing, but got better quickly. I'd recommend doing the same when you are done with the couple day course of chemiclean.

ibrat82
05/12/2016, 12:27 PM
but on the back of the package it says continue to use skimmer although it may require adjustment to prevent eclxcessive overflow

jd371
05/12/2016, 01:06 PM
Chemiclean will always make the skimmer overflow. Just let it overflow. When I treated my tank I removed the plug on the skimmer cup and let it drain back into the sump, the skimmer also helps with the oxygenation along with an airstone.
Like was mentioned when you're done with the treatment add GAC and do a wc and the skimmer should go back to normal within a day or two.

ReefsandGeeks
05/12/2016, 01:31 PM
Agreed, it does say keep skimmer running, this is for the oxygenation. However in my case, I have a hang on back skimmer, and the skimmer overflowing means a very wet floor, so my best option was an airstone only.

PRDubois
05/12/2016, 01:39 PM
Some people just take off the collection cup and let it fountain over.

Psychomantix
05/12/2016, 04:14 PM
I've used chemiclean multiple times already, and always turned off the skimmer when I do. Never had any problems with oxygenation or anything dying.

Kt8
05/13/2016, 11:36 AM
Always overflows when I used it. Usually takes several water changes after your done before the skimmer will return to normal.