PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of flex/bow normal on big acrlic tanks?

Fitz19d
05/12/2016, 04:55 PM
Leak testing a free 110g acrlic tall I had for sump purposes. Had 2 flat boards I put under it to give it a pretty even/level surface. Realized once filled a bit of slant since it's in garage towards the narrow end of the tank.

Noticed just now that both long wide walls have a little bit of bow. Not sure how to measure accurately but I'd say a few mm to a cm maybe at it's deepest? Noticable at least if you stand at one corner in line with a pane.

heathlindner25
05/12/2016, 05:00 PM
I'm not quite sure if" two flat boards" will hold the weight of a hundred plus gallon acrylic tank.
Acrylic really needs a quality stand underneath it. Imo

strummerfan
05/12/2016, 05:30 PM
Acrylic tanks need to be fully supported. That would be of more concern to me than the slight bowing. You could always buy some acrylic and put on a euro brace if you're concerned about it.

Fitz19d
05/12/2016, 06:21 PM
@ heath Two 1 inch thick boards on the concrete, didnt have it up on a stand or anything.

@strummer I believe it is already Eurobraced? Several inches thick horizontal rim along the perimeter and a center brace.

When I actually use it I intend to figure out an appropriate stand. As a sump trying to go cheap, fairly small footprint so was thinking just a complete footprint of cinderblock with a couple plywood sheets.

heathlindner25
05/12/2016, 06:36 PM
Usually under acrylic tanks there is a foam insert...... if you feel comfortable about the tanks acrylic support system, and I guess I do too

Fitz19d
05/12/2016, 07:39 PM
Ah, good reminder, the foam is what I was forgetting. TY