PDA

View Full Version : Can just the tang......

Coachb9
05/13/2016, 05:57 AM
Can just the blue tang have ich in my tank? I have read the majority of the stickies and know that ich can be around but just not show its ugly face. I also have read that the blue tang is more susceptible to getting ich.
All that being said, the blue tang is the only one who is showing signs. They were all in the little tank together for 2 weeks and now have been in the big tank for a couple days.
Picture included for verification of ich, but I think it is. I just don't want to move the blue tang back to the small tank if not necessary. Dori had a real tough transition

LobsterOfJustice
05/13/2016, 06:56 AM
If you remove just the tank for treatment, it likely will become reinfected when you place it back in the main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonFlorida
05/13/2016, 07:28 AM
All fish need to be moved from DT to Hospital tank and DT says fallow for 72 days. If one fish has ich, every fish in the tank has it.

always QT. I do 8 weeks and only med when something shows up.

Dmorty217
05/13/2016, 07:30 AM
All fish need to be moved from DT to Hospital tank and DT says fallow for 72 days. If one fish has ich, every fish in the tank has it.

always QT. I do 8 weeks and only med when something shows up.

Also there have been reports of ich laying dormant for 90 days in reef tanks only to reinfect fish when they are reintroduced

Coachb9
05/13/2016, 10:36 AM
So I only have live rock and some plastic plants in the DT. Can I just treat the DT, if what you are saying is true and all the fish probably have th ick, would I hurt anything if I just treated all of them in DT?

krullshards
05/13/2016, 02:06 PM
Your live rock might have die off depending on what's on or in there so you would have to keep an eye on ammonia. Also, you would have to keep the fish in hypo far longer than necessary to make sure you kill off all the hatched cysts in 72 - 76 days.

Coachb9
05/13/2016, 05:54 PM
Blue tang now rubbing itself on rocks for first time. Guessing it's definitely ich at this point.
What are chances that if I get tang out now, I can avoid issues in remainder of tank?

Coachb9
05/13/2016, 06:37 PM
I can't leave this blue tang in a 20 gallon tank for 2 months, can I? I have no other options, aside from giving it back to LFS.

ca1ore
05/13/2016, 09:52 PM
Blue/regal/hippo is highly susceptible to ich, and it is not unusual for it to be the only symptomatic fish in the tank. That does not mean that the other fish don't also have ich, because they almost certainly do; just that they are asymptomatic. Removing the hippo to QT, but not also treating the tank, will likely just mean it will get reinfected upon reintroduction.

Coachb9
05/14/2016, 05:49 AM
Ok well I want to do what is best for the fish. Going to LFS today and ask them if they will take back the blue tang. I am obviously not ready for this fish.
Is there anything that I can treat the tank with while the fish are still in it? My live rock is only 1 month old so I don't know if anything is growing on it yet. I can treat the tank for 2 months if that is what it will take and get rid of the ich.
Thanks everyone