PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a filter in my qt tank?

trembz
05/13/2016, 07:24 AM
Hello,

I plan on treating my black trigger in a 30 gallon quarantine tank with paraguard.
It says to remove all filter media, I currently have a powerhead in there for circulation.
Can I just treat it like so?
or should I get a hob filter and run without carbon??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Dmorty217
05/13/2016, 07:28 AM
HOB filter without carbon. paraguard has to be redosed everyday so filter media shouldn't effect it much if at all. What are you treating the trigger for BTW? Paraguard works for things like flukes and fin rot but doesn't do much of anything for a active ich infection

trembz
05/13/2016, 07:30 AM
I also used 25 gallons of water from the DT (that he's currently in) and 5 gallons of fresh water to
Treat immediately, is this okay?

Dmorty217
05/13/2016, 07:51 AM
Its fine providing you don't use any more water from the DT (it has the disease present and every time you add water from the DT you reintroduce the disease to the hospital tank) What are you treating the trigger for exactly?

trembz
05/13/2016, 09:10 AM
To be honest,
It looks like a fungal infection, he has a raised white lump on his right fin, it's not ich, it's larger and raised as I tried giving him a freshwater dip and that did nothing, when I touched the fin, it felt raised .. he eats vigorously and shows no signs of being unhappy but I still want it cleared up, I've been soaking food in selcon for 4 days now,
Shrimp, spiriluna shrimp, krill, nls pellets and new era pellets

trembz
05/13/2016, 09:27 AM
Also,
I had originally planned on purchasing a fish or 2 tomorrow, would it a bad idea to throw them into the same quarantine tank as the trigger all at the same time? And start with the paraguard treatment immediately?

trembz
05/13/2016, 09:43 AM
I also forgot to ask, I'm going to get an aquaclear hob filter today, can I just hook it up right away and start treatment seeing as how I've used dt water? It'll all be new equipment, I can toss in some Matrix from my dt sump I've had in there for a few weeks if that nay help

Dmorty217
05/13/2016, 03:35 PM
I also forgot to ask, I'm going to get an aquaclear hob filter today, can I just hook it up right away and start treatment seeing as how I've used dt water? It'll all be new equipment, I can toss in some Matrix from my dt sump I've had in there for a few weeks if that nay help

That's should be fine but monitor ammonia closely. Sounds like lymph then. No cure for it except good water quality and varied, enriched diet. Fungal issues are almost always brown, white is usually bacterial. What you described sounds a lot like lymph

trembz
05/13/2016, 03:37 PM
That's should be fine but monitor ammonia closely. Sounds like lymph then. No cure for it except good water quality and varied, enriched diet. Fungal issues are almost always brown, white is usually bacterial. What you described sounds a lot like lymph
So should I bother treating him in a qt with paraguard? Will it stress him even more?.. he's had it for about 2 weeks now

trembz
05/14/2016, 06:50 AM
Any last opinions on whether or not I should treat him in a qt? I was planning on doing it today

Dmorty217
05/14/2016, 07:40 AM
Can you post a picture to confirm or deny if it's lymph or not? That will determine if a QT is necessary or not

trembz
05/15/2016, 02:39 PM
Can you post a picture to confirm or deny if it's lymph or not? That will determine if a QT is necessary or not
Just snapped this 5 mins ago after giving him a one hour bath in paraguard
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160515/764be2dd96340148511c3612578dc333.jpg

trembz
05/15/2016, 02:40 PM
The blotches on the body come and go when he's stressed so I'm not worried about that, it's that sore on the fin that worries me

Dmorty217
05/16/2016, 08:02 AM
Lymph. No need to put in a hospital tank