PDA

View Full Version : How long do Rotifers last in the bottle?

Jski90
05/13/2016, 11:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been searching everywhere on the internet and cant find the answer to how long will live rotifers live for in the bottle. I just purchased some online and they were delivered to me yesterday but I have not received my air pump in the mail. I wanted to try to begin culturing rotifers. Any advice would be appreciated and answer to that question.

Thanks!

Jski90
05/13/2016, 01:27 PM
Anyone know?

d0ughb0y
05/13/2016, 01:35 PM
Can't you ask the seller you bought it from? I think they can go dormant if you put them in the fridge. Just make sure you label it "do not drink". [emoji3]

--------------
Go Warriors
Go Sharks

gioNVA
05/13/2016, 01:59 PM
you can always buy a small air pump from petco for less than $10. I've also put some live rotifers in the fridge for a week.

Jski90
05/13/2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks Doughboy, I for some reason didn't think of asking the seller. I asked them and am waiting for them to get back. Bought them from Amazon. I saw a post saying they would survive shipping for a couple weeks. So I might be fine.

Hey gioNVA,
Thanks for your reply. I will probably try putting them in the fridge until my air pump gets here. Should be soon.

shifty51008
05/27/2016, 04:12 AM
http://www.reedmariculture.com/support_rotifers_shelf_life.php

Jski90
05/27/2016, 04:36 PM
Hey thanks for your reply. The seller responded with 8 weeks top if refrigerated. I have started by culture now and have so much rotifers, but I missed my clownfish hatching so I do not have fish to feed them to. I ended up putting my whole culture (a gallon) in the fridge to wait for the next batch of clowns. I guess I will be taking them out sooner then expected. I wouldn't want to wait for a fresh order of rotifers to start a new culture when the time came.

DanDashO
05/29/2016, 11:17 AM
You should have about 10 gallons of culture if this is your first try at rotifers. They're not to difficult once you know what you're doing, but there is a significant learning curve.

A gallon on rotis would be wiped out by healthy larvae in about 30 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk