PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned

Coachb9
05/14/2016, 01:40 PM
Well I started treatment for ich and was told to take the carbon out of my canister filter. Well this was my first water change or any such process with a canister filter. Needless to say, I am a moron and tried to take the carbon packet out of the filter without first taking the tubes out of the water. It's real hard to stop the water from flowing once you release the pressure from the canister. Guessing I lost about 5 gallons of water at the same time, all over the hardwood floor. I can't get under the cabinet so I hope water didn't sneak under there although I know some did. I have 2 fans running I dry up whatever water didn't get mopped up by the towels. What a stinkin mess.
Lesson learned. Could have been worse I guess.
On a side note, I am replacing the water with tap water and conditioner and the appropriate amount of salt. I did a test and it read 0.50 ammonia. Is that normal?

krullshards
05/14/2016, 08:34 PM
Out of the tap? Your city might use chloramines. You'll need to neutralize that with Prime or Amquel.

Coachb9
05/14/2016, 08:38 PM
I put a neutralizer in the water and it smelled like crap. Guessing it will take its course. Will keep my eye on it

bobbravo2
05/15/2016, 05:13 PM
Well I started treatment for ich and was told to take the carbon out of my canister filter. Well this was my first water change or any such process with a canister filter. Needless to say, I am a moron and tried to take the carbon packet out of the filter without first taking the tubes out of the water. It's real hard to stop the water from flowing once you release the pressure from the canister. Guessing I lost about 5 gallons of water at the same time, all over the hardwood floor. I can't get under the cabinet so I hope water didn't sneak under there although I know some did. I have 2 fans running I dry up whatever water didn't get mopped up by the towels. What a stinkin mess.

Lesson learned. Could have been worse I guess.

On a side note, I am replacing the water with tap water and conditioner and the appropriate amount of salt. I did a test and it read 0.50 ammonia. Is that normal?

You'll want to invest in a RO/DI system at some point, for now, you should be using RO/DI water from your LFS. Using tap water in a saltwater setup is a big no no. All of that stuff in the water accumulates and causes algae outbreaks.

Coachb9
05/15/2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Of all the things I have considered, this hasn't even made the list. Never would have know the system existed. I bought a 5 gallon bucket (instant ocean) of the salt that said it would last for 150 gallons. I used it to make the first 55 gallons in my new tank but don't want it to go to waste.
Now, my question is, what should be my next investment? I was going to get a HOB protein skimmer and it retails for around $150. From what u can see, this RO/DI system costs about the same. If I am changing 10-15 gallons every 2-3 weeks, that will cost me around $15 each time I buy water from the LFS.
Thoughts on what I should purchase next?
I have a 55 gallon rectangular tank with a canister filter rated for 100 gallons and a power head rated for 100 gallons too. I have a decent amount of live rock in the tank, although I think it's more dead than live. Thanks for advice

crocogator106
05/15/2016, 06:01 PM
My .02, I'd get the RODI unit. Its one of the first things I bought when I started my tank build. It will save you money in the long run, not only in not having to buy RODI water but in money spent trying to correct problems caused by tap water or crappy RODI water from the LFS where they haven't changed out their RODI filters. Also get one with a TDS meter.

Coachb9
05/15/2016, 07:28 PM
Any suggestions on version? As I said, I only have a 55 gallon tank so I don't want to get too big of a version but want to get one good enough.
Is this RO/DI hooked up all the time or only when I am doing water changes?
Thanks

krullshards
05/15/2016, 07:38 PM
You can keep it hooked up all the time or not. Do a search for "salt water mixing station" on youtube and you'll see all sorts of setups.

From my research Spectrapure are some of the best. I went with a Bulk Reef Supply model that was comparable and I'm pretty happy. Check out some of BRS's video about their RO/DI systems.

crocogator106
05/15/2016, 07:51 PM
I've got the Bulk Reef Supply 75gpd model. I only hook it up once a week to make top off water and for water changes. I have been very satisfied with it.

Coachb9
05/15/2016, 07:54 PM
I've done a quick research and hope there are options that don't require hookup to a separate water supply. I am simply not setup for that not do I plan on being setup like that. I want a system that is more like a Brita water filter for a lack of better understanding of what I really need.
Is there a RO/DI system that can simplify the process for a newbie like me?

crocogator106
05/15/2016, 07:57 PM
The model I got you can leave it hooked up if you wanted. On the attachment that goes on the faucet has a lever that you can either have the regular tap water coming out and with the turn of a knob it goes through the RODI unit and clean water comes out the hose on the unit into your container.

crocogator106
05/15/2016, 07:58 PM
I hook mine up on the spare bathroom sink.

Tisbe
05/16/2016, 11:24 AM
I hooked mine up by putting a Y at the washing machine's cold water and running the waster line of the RO unit into the drain for the washer. The washer uses regular garden hose fittings. I happen to have a closet next to the washer that holds the trashcan I use to hold RO/DI water.

Having already made RO water and premixed saltwater is a good insurance policy to have if/when mistakes happen.

crocogator106
05/16/2016, 11:25 AM
Just saw where BRS has their 4 stage 75gpd model on sale with the TDS meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWIII
05/16/2016, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the water mess. Might look at throwing some ball valves on there for future maintenance. When I used to use canister filters in the past I never trusted their mechanism of stopping the back syphon. Or like u said u could take the tube out of water, but ball valves makes life easy

2000se
05/16/2016, 03:16 PM
Coach
Might get better help moving this thread to New To The Hobby section... but to answer your question - get the RO/DI..

Water changes can help get you through not having a skimmer. It will save you time from always having to go the fish store to get more water.

I got this RO/DI unit and really like it.."Deepwater Aquatics ION RO/DI System"

Once you get a few more bucks saved up, you can get the skimmer.

bobbravo2
05/16/2016, 05:04 PM
As everyone else said: Get the RODI. Here's a few faucet adapters: http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/reefing/Rodi-Faucet-Adapter

RODI needs pressure to operate. Also, are you on a well? Or city water? If city, check if they use Chlorine or Chloramines. You can search for their water safety report. If they use Chloramines, you'll need a more advanced RODI filter.

I use AquaSafeCanada.com for my RODI, and buy replacements from BRS

Coachb9
05/16/2016, 05:50 PM
I am city water and I don't know that answer. I will check into it though.
My wife had nicer faucets put in all bathrooms and kitchen so there is no adapters fitting these setups.
My only chance is an outdoor faucet but I don't know if that will work. If there is a portable system that I can connect outside to make my water, then disconnect it and store it while not in use, that's my only option it seems.
Has anyone seen anything like this? I will surf the web for something that may work but am open to any suggestions.
Thanks for everyone's input

Coachb9
05/16/2016, 06:01 PM
Charleston Water System uses chlorine dioxide and chloramines (a compound formed by combining ammonia and chlorine) to protect against harmful microorganisms.
Guess this is why I had an ammonia reading at my water change

bobbravo2
05/16/2016, 06:53 PM
Charleston Water System uses chlorine dioxide and chloramines (a compound formed by combining ammonia and chlorine) to protect against harmful microorganisms.

Guess this is why I had an ammonia reading at my water change

Glad you know it now. You'll want to use 2x universal carbon blocks from BRS. For a movable system, that should be doable. I'd look into a rolling cart of some sort, you can always use the RODI tubing (1/4" polyethylene) to send the water back inside to a reservoir. Take a look at @ BRS YouTube channel and search for Chloramines. That'll help give you some background.

bobbravo2
05/16/2016, 06:55 PM
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBaMLrfToJyzroiJy9VRgO4nhm9S5Vbhw

Coachb9
05/16/2016, 08:01 PM
Thanks, that helped. I think moving this system around won't be too bad. I wish I could store it under my spare bathroom sink, but the faucet just won't connect to it and I am not drilling holes and such underneath. Seems simple enough so maybe I can find a plumber who wants to make a couple bucks in his spare time.
If I can store it under the sink and put the proper drain lines in place, then I can move a 5 gallon bucket around as needed. Only changing 10-15 gallons of water every 2 weeks will make this seem ok.
I do have a question though. How long can I store the purified water before using it? Then, how long can I store mixed saltwater before it needs to be used?
Thanks again

2000se
05/17/2016, 05:43 AM
I am city water and I don't know that answer. I will check into it though.
My wife had nicer faucets put in all bathrooms and kitchen so there is no adapters fitting these setups.
My only chance is an outdoor faucet but I don't know if that will work. If there is a portable system that I can connect outside to make my water, then disconnect it and store it while not in use, that's my only option it seems.
Has anyone seen anything like this? I will surf the web for something that may work but am open to any suggestions.
Thanks for everyone's input

I had mine hooked to the outside spigot for a little while until I mounted it somewhere else. Hooking that way works perfectly fine.

krullshards
05/17/2016, 08:55 AM
Thanks, that helped. I think moving this system around won't be too bad. I wish I could store it under my spare bathroom sink, but the faucet just won't connect to it and I am not drilling holes and such underneath. Seems simple enough so maybe I can find a plumber who wants to make a couple bucks in his spare time.
If I can store it under the sink and put the proper drain lines in place, then I can move a 5 gallon bucket around as needed. Only changing 10-15 gallons of water every 2 weeks will make this seem ok.
I do have a question though. How long can I store the purified water before using it? Then, how long can I store mixed saltwater before it needs to be used?
Thanks again

The BRS kit comes with multiple options to connect it, including faucet adaptors (I know those won't work for you) and a self tapping mechanism if you have copper pipes. I actually set mine up in my basement storage area which I have converted to a fish room. I had some PVC pipes running and had my handyman put in a length of copper pipe that I could tap into. You could do that under your sink if you have copper pipes or can have copper pipes placed in there.

Then I have a ball valve to cut off the flow easily (though I could have used the self tapping mechanism's cut off too, but the ball valve is easier and doesn't require a lot of turning). Attached are some pics of my setup. My city also runs chloramines so I had to get the more advanced RO/DI system.

Also, I wouldn't call this portable at all. The pictures are deceptive, the canisters that hold the filters, carbon blocks, and DI Resins are large and heavy carried together.