PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get indirect flow for my Torch coral?

ricosneeks
05/14/2016, 03:32 PM
Hello guys, got myself a lovely torch coral yesterday, during the day hes thriving and extended, today he retracted his polyps at night which i understand can happen sometimes, the tenticals are back out and not as extended or large as they was during daylight, prior to coming back out one head was kind of showing its skeleton too, i dont know if this is normal or my flow isnt indirect enough
Mostly the tenticals will sway with a short 3 second moment of more agressive swaying but in general its quite calm

I have attached the pictures. The powerhead is in the middle of the tank facing the front glass, is this a good position for indirect flow or not? Take a look at the pics and help would be much appreciated! Thanks again !

(Sorry for the night picture but you can see the powerheaf in the middle)

kgeig001
05/14/2016, 03:44 PM
They don't like to be blasted...as long as their tentacles are slowly swaying in all directions they are happy. Moderate lighting is fine. Give it time to get used to your tank, don't be constantly moving it and it'll open up if water parameters are good.

Tisbe
05/14/2016, 04:48 PM
I am not sure the best way to get variable flow with one powerhead, I have two power. One in the back, upper right corner aimed to shoot water to the upper, front, left hand corner. The second one is on the left side, near the front and near the middle shooting straight across the tank and upwards towards surface. My tank is 48x18x24 inches. As the water streams slide by each other it causes mini vortexes that reach down and gently move the torch.

At this point you need to give it time to settle in. When you first put a coral in it can take a couple days to know it is happy where you put it. Mine did just like your the first couple days. It really receded the 2nd and 3rd nights it was in the tank even to the point the skeleton was clear to see. After 4-5 days it settle in and still shrinks a little when the light goes out each evening.

ricosneeks
05/14/2016, 05:05 PM
I am not sure the best way to get variable flow with one powerhead, I have two power. One in the back, upper right corner aimed to shoot water to the upper, front, left hand corner. The second one is on the left side, near the front and near the middle shooting straight across the tank and upwards towards surface. My tank is 48x18x24 inches. As the water streams slide by each other it causes mini vortexes that reach down and gently move the torch.

At this point you need to give it time to settle in. When you first put a coral in it can take a couple days to know it is happy where you put it. Mine did just like your the first couple days. It really receded the 2nd and 3rd nights it was in the tank even to the point the skeleton was clear to see. After 4-5 days it settle in and still shrinks a little when the light goes out each evening.

Thank you for the input, i currently have a Aquaone mini reef 90, the one powerhead is powerful enough even on the low setting, the lfs toldme to keep powerhead in the middle facing front glass which will cause randomised flow, i dont know if that is working, ill keep an eye out he goes quite large during daytime the past two days

vikinglord13
05/14/2016, 08:18 PM
If you have one powerhead aiming it at the glass like your lfs said will help cut down the power, a bit.

You could try aiming it at the side panel a bit to create a sort of swirling motion too if you'd want. Best thing to do is sit and wait.

If your torch coral starts turning white, it is probably dying (I had one do that to me).
As long as your alkalinity and salinity are within a consistent, narrow range your torch should do fine. Some consider it a hardy LPS.

jml1149
05/15/2016, 12:12 AM
I have found, that as long as your Alk is in check, unless you're blasting the torch with stupid rip flesh from the skeleton flow all day without changing directions, it should be fine.

I don't know what size tank you have, it looks nano-ish, but adding a new torch is going to use up a surprising amount of Alk in a short time. Especially overnight. I would check the alk.

Also, what kind of powerhead is it? Does it turn on/off random flow, Jebao?

ricosneeks
05/15/2016, 05:52 AM
I have found, that as long as your Alk is in check, unless you're blasting the torch with stupid rip flesh from the skeleton flow all day without changing directions, it should be fine.

I don't know what size tank you have, it looks nano-ish, but adding a new torch is going to use up a surprising amount of Alk in a short time. Especially overnight. I would check the alk.

Also, what kind of powerhead is it? Does it turn on/off random flow, Jebao?

Just a continious flow, can change the power which i have on the lowest setting

ricosneeks
05/15/2016, 06:09 AM
Looks to be very happy with daylight settings on! Take a look at him today guys

jml1149
05/15/2016, 06:40 AM
That doesn't look bad at all. Unless you're going to drop the cash on an MP10 in the near future, you might consider getting the smallest Jebao power head they make on eBay or Amazon for like 50 bucks. Sure, they might not last as long as an MP10 but you can literally buy 6 of them in the mean time. Good random flow really is important with Euphyllia.

I have two of the Jebao ph's in my tank and for the price, it can't be beat. I'm not usually into the knock off market, but there's literally nothing else at that price point that will be so effective for your tank. And if I'm wrong, GREAT, please let me know.

Nice torch.

ricosneeks
05/15/2016, 07:36 AM
That doesn't look bad at all. Unless you're going to drop the cash on an MP10 in the near future, you might consider getting the smallest Jebao power head they make on eBay or Amazon for like 50 bucks. Sure, they might not last as long as an MP10 but you can literally buy 6 of them in the mean time. Good random flow really is important with Euphyllia.

I have two of the Jebao ph's in my tank and for the price, it can't be beat. I'm not usually into the knock off market, but there's literally nothing else at that price point that will be so effective for your tank. And if I'm wrong, GREAT, please let me know.

Nice torch.

Thank you he has extended even more, just a quick and important question, my lfs stores Jebao ph's, looking at my tank photo (aquaone minireef 90) where would you place the powerhead?

jml1149
05/15/2016, 08:35 AM
Can you take a picture of the whole tank?

jml1149
05/15/2016, 08:36 AM
I have mine pointed across the top of the tank, above all the corals, and it generates a nice rocking motion

ricosneeks
05/15/2016, 12:00 PM
Can you take a picture of the whole tank?

Here you go! Sorry its so cropped, i couldent upload it so had to make the image shorter but thats basicly the tank, just the sides and top are abit cropped

jml1149
05/15/2016, 12:02 PM
I'd probably keep it in the same spot, if at the lowest setting its still to high bring it higher to the surface, and if still to high point it up towards the surface.

Potatohead
05/15/2016, 12:26 PM
Personally with two powerheads I like them on the sides pointing at each other so the water streams crash into each other