PDA

View Full Version : Tangs and macroalgae?

SoloChromis
05/14/2016, 06:13 PM
I personally much prefer the look and relative stability that comes from a thriving macro algae dominant tank over a pristine candy colored SPS tank any day, but that's just me, but I also love angels and tangs. Is it possible to mix the 2 longterm, or would the tang/angel decimate the entire crop? I don't mind nipping and I figure it would work in providing a constant food source for the herbivore, as well as keeping the algae cropped, I just don't want them obliterating it all. Thanks guys :dance:

Michael Hoaster
05/16/2016, 03:27 PM
I've had some luck with an atlantic blue tang juvenile, and caulerpa racemosa. You want to make sure the macro you choose is a favorite of the tang you choose. I think the key is to get your macros to the overgrown point, THEN add the tang. This will give you some time to consider growth rates v consumption rates. If you find the growth rate exceeds consumption, you can prune a little. If consumption exceeds growth, consider dosing nutrients to speed up growth. Another option, though rather difficult, would be to occasionally remove the tang to a separate tank for an un-grazed, growing period, if your macros get whittled down too much.

If you're thinking of doing this in a 60 cube, I doubt you could grow enough to keep one tang fed, long term. Mine is a 180 and I doubt I'll be able to keep up as the tang matures. If you start with a juvenile, you can probably make it work for a while, as I have done. But don't be discouraged from trying. It's a fascinating scenario and your tang will be very happy.

On the flip side, if you have collected and cared for a lovely selection of macros, you're not going to enjoy watching your tang mow them down.

FinzAquatics
05/16/2016, 06:34 PM
Or stick with calciforous algae and prune as necessary. They won't/shouldn't become a neuscance. Then go nuts with a tang as they wont/shouldn't be interested in those