PDA

View Full Version : Fish sleeping around Mantis Shrimp

icewater
05/15/2016, 12:34 AM
I am starting to fill a 20 gallon tank with my G. Chiragra and a few other fish and was wondering if I should try to make more "safe spots" for the fish to sleep at night so my mantis shrimp wont try to kill them as much if he is up wandering around at night. Lol

What are you thoughts on the sleeping areas for fish in a mantis shrimp tank? Should I not worry about where the fish are going to sleep?

Jlentz
05/15/2016, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EI Gringo
05/16/2016, 08:39 AM
What fish are you thinking of brother? If it's small blennies, gobies etc then they'll retreat into a piece of rockwork, most other fish tend to find a hiding spot of some kind

Jlentz
05/18/2016, 02:22 AM
It's more about whether the mantis wants to murder said fish. (Or the fish tries to sleep in the mantis lair) if he wants them dead they will get dead.

Calappidae
06/06/2016, 10:12 AM
It's more about whether the mantis wants to murder said fish. (Or the fish tries to sleep in the mantis lair) if he wants them dead they will get dead.

This^

It's not really about their hiding, if a mantis wants a fish, its going to relentlessly hunt it, even digging in any cracks you provide.

They're dead or they're not. In my case, my peacock would let damsels sleep with him in his burrow, this was a case of he wouldn't hurt them. Other attempts no matter how many hiding places I gave, they were dead.