PDA

View Full Version : Leather Coral Problem

MantisLvr
05/15/2016, 07:09 AM
I have a green sinularia dura or cabbage leather that won't open. First week it opened and stayed open for several days. I know they regularly clean there surface but it seems like as soon as it sloughs off a section a day later its has a shiny surface again. No polyp extension for couple weeks. It is in moderate to moderately high flow. Water parameters as follows:
1.025 salinity
9 to 10 dkh
420 calcium
8.0 ph
77 degree temp
Nitrates 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
The only corals it is close to is a brown photosynthetic gorgonian and a green hairy mushroom but they are a couple inches apart. Don't know what's wrong with it any advice appreciated. It is under 4 39watt t5s in a 40 breeder so it has 4 watts per gallon of light. It was on bottom but as of last night moved it up to upper half of tank don't know if this will help.

Dogshowgrl
05/15/2016, 09:05 AM
They are photosynthetic and need a low level of nitrates, like 5 -10 for LPs and softies. What test kit are you using? That is a large range for dKH. Where is it placed? Did you light acclimate?

MantisLvr
05/15/2016, 09:57 AM
Nitrates are 0 ppm. I am using API test kits. I have used Salifert kits in the past but they are evenly matched with the results the API kits give I have compared. Alk is 9 dkh but one more drop of test kit solution made the result color a little more yellow so that's why I said 9 to 10dkh. I started it out on bottom it has been there for 3 weeks or better. Just moved it up higher last night due to the fact it hasn't extended polyps for at least a week and a half and keep getting shiny surface after it sloughs a little.

miranda1960
05/15/2016, 03:17 PM
softies needs some nitrates .. the course is just your tank is running too poor...

MantisLvr
05/15/2016, 05:29 PM
What do you mean by too poor....?

miranda1960
05/16/2016, 06:58 AM
What do you mean by too poor....?

too low of nitrate

MantisLvr
05/16/2016, 08:10 AM
Most peoples goal is to reach a zero nitrate level would like to know where you found that info. I should clarify that I do dose zooplankton and oyster feast 3 times a week as well as seachems fuel. I do have scarlet hermits wondering if there the problem or amphipods. I have several amphipods and have witnessed them munching on my mushroom coral, blastomussa merleti, and zoas from time to time.

MantisLvr
05/16/2016, 08:48 AM
If any one is wondering how I know about the amphipods because the outer blast polyps were fine one night the next morning skeleton showing. They were congrated on that part in the morning. The mushroom coral I have seen with the larger amphipods them take tiny pieces in there claw like arms. Had some larger skirted zoas and fine one night the next morning same as blasto the skirts missing. All this before I had the scarlet hermits.

MantisLvr
05/16/2016, 10:04 AM
Sorry for the typing error should be congregated not congrated on last post.

JJCriss
05/19/2016, 09:26 PM

I have a similar problem with my leather coral. Had it in for about a week. Did not light acclimate.

MantisLvr
05/23/2016, 09:15 AM
Leather finally shed some but the entire outer edges are still shinny. That seems to be the part that doesn't want to shed. I used a turkey baster to get off what did shed. Hoping this is a good sign and the edges will shed soon and polyps will come out!!

garygonzales
05/23/2016, 04:22 PM
this is what leathers do..sometimes they stay closed for days and maybe week at a time or so...so this is normal.....

MantisLvr
05/30/2016, 08:36 AM
Update. After over 4 weeks my leather coral is finally happy. It opened most of its polyps yesterday and I couldn't be happier!!!

MantisLvr
05/31/2016, 05:59 PM
Here it is!!!

Cthehentz
06/14/2016, 11:37 AM
That is sweet, love my toadstools...