PDA

View Full Version : What is this on my triggers fin.. see photo

trembz
05/15/2016, 02:52 PM
2.5 weeks ago my trigger developed this mark on his fin. It's clearly not ich
He eats vigorously, and I've been soaking food in selcon for the past week.
Last week I gave a fresh water dip to see and nothing fell off. At the same time I felt the growth on the fin and it felt raised and rough. Hes still a champ in the tank but I want him to look 100%.
Today I gave a one hour bath in some dt water and paraguard.
Any ideas?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160515/5765b7d3f8300e65decbbaaf75bb6b86.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

cougareyes
05/15/2016, 06:23 PM
Could be Lymphocystis, my bluejaw triggers had it and so did my majestic angel. It's kind of like herpes, there is no cure and it usually goes away if water quality is good and stress is at a minimum. It does not affect the overall health of the fish, it can transfer but usually to the same species. Both my majestic and bluejaws are clear now, no other fish ever got it. Unless it gets around their mouth or eyes it's not a big deal, usually clears on it's on in about a month or so.

trembz
05/15/2016, 07:06 PM
Could be Lymphocystis, my bluejaw triggers had it and so did my majestic angel. It's kind of like herpes, there is no cure and it usually goes away if water quality is good and stress is at a minimum. It does not affect the overall health of the fish, it can transfer but usually to the same species. Both my majestic and bluejaws are clear now, no other fish ever got it. Unless it gets around their mouth or eyes it's not a big deal, usually clears on it's on in about a month or so.
Dmorty diagnosed it with the same thing before I was able to snap a picture because I had created a thread about quarantining the trigger to treat him and he basically said with good conditions it should go away on its own also..
There's nothing I can really do to speed up the healing process?
What is this typically caused from?

cougareyes
05/15/2016, 07:19 PM
Good water quality, good diet, minimum stress. My interpretation is like I said, herpes, alot of fish carry it but don't display it. My bluejaw pair displayed it during quarantine and cleared by the time they were through. In the display the male displayed it again, probably due to stress with fighting with the pinktail. He's clear now and has been for months. My majestic angel went through quarantine fine, then displayed it when he first went into display. He cleared it and everyone has been clear for months. Pinktail, harlequin, puffer, and orange shoulder have never had it. It creates it's own strain, an angel may transfer it to another angel, but usually not to another species. Maintaining the 3(water quality, diet, minimum stress) and you'll probably never see it again.

trembz
05/15/2016, 07:24 PM
Good water quality, good diet, minimum stress. My interpretation is like I said, herpes, alot of fish carry it but don't display it. My bluejaw pair displayed it during quarantine and cleared by the time they were through. In the display the male displayed it again, probably due to stress with fighting with the pinktail. He's clear now and has been for months. My majestic angel went through quarantine fine, then displayed it when he first went into display. He cleared it and everyone has been clear for months. Pinktail, harlequin, puffer, and orange shoulder have never had it. It creates it's own strain, an angel may transfer it to another angel, but usually not to another species. Maintaining the 3(water quality, diet, minimum stress) and you'll probably never see it again.
Thanks for the info,
So quarantining him is useless then suppose? I assume it'll just stress him out more

cougareyes
05/15/2016, 07:33 PM
If it's for sure Lymphocystis, and it probably is; leave him be...it will run it's course usually in about a month or so.

trembz
05/16/2016, 07:25 AM
Anybody else care to chime in?

Dmorty217
05/16/2016, 08:01 AM
Looks like Lymph to me, no need to QT it won't help... It might actually make it worse. Good water quality and enriched, varied diet and time are the only thing that will correct the issue. Always caused by stress

snorvich
05/16/2016, 10:27 AM
Looks like Lymph to me, no need to QT it won't help... It might actually make it worse. Good water quality and enriched, varied diet and time are the only thing that will correct the issue. Always caused by stress

QT won't help this, but it will prevent other problems.

Dmorty217
05/16/2016, 10:58 AM
QT won't help this, but it will prevent other problems.

Without question, I'm assuming the trigger has already been thru "QT" and this developed after the fact... We all know what happens when you assume

trembz
05/16/2016, 11:40 AM
Without question, I'm assuming the trigger has already been thru "QT" and this developed after the fact... We all know what happens when you assume
He did 6 weeks in qt with no treatments because he didn't display any signs of anything , this developed a month after being in the main dt