PDA

View Full Version : BRSTV request: Zetlight ZT-6600a review

grantbey
05/15/2016, 04:38 PM
Hi guys,

I've been watching the BRS160 series as well as a lot of your other videos. Excellent work; I'm learning a ton and enjoying the videos along the way.

In the LED lighting discussion, you guys mentioned the ZT-6500a and briefly discussed it's larger brother the ZT-6600a.

I have some questions and I'd love to see a review:

1) Are there any reasons this light isn't more popular? It seems to have everything at a low price point. Am I missing something?

2) Do you see the disco-ball effect with this light? I haven't observed it in the videos I've seen, but I want someone who has used the light to rule this out.

3) Is there any reason to believe this light won't do a good job growing corals (I'm aiming for softies and LPS, but I guess others would want to know if SPS would like it too!)

Thanks in advance if you can help!

RT_BRS
05/16/2016, 12:11 PM
Hi guys,

I've been watching the BRS160 series as well as a lot of your other videos. Excellent work; I'm learning a ton and enjoying the videos along the way.

In the LED lighting discussion, you guys mentioned the ZT-6500a and briefly discussed it's larger brother the ZT-6600a.

I have some questions and I'd love to see a review:

1) Are there any reasons this light isn't more popular? It seems to have everything at a low price point. Am I missing something?

2) Do you see the disco-ball effect with this light? I haven't observed it in the videos I've seen, but I want someone who has used the light to rule this out.

3) Is there any reason to believe this light won't do a good job growing corals (I'm aiming for softies and LPS, but I guess others would want to know if SPS would like it too!)

Thanks in advance if you can help!

Thanks! Happy to hear you like the series. Once we get through the BRS160, we'd love to do some more product videos, and this could be a good idea.

As far as the popularity goes, the fixture is relatively new to the market, but they both are pretty highly reviewed on our site. We are currently running one in the office over an Elos cube and have been for around 6-8 months. Everything in the tank is happy and growing. The shimmer is pretty natural, there isn't any noticeable disco-ball to my eye, but that may change depending on the flow in the tank.

In my humble opinion, I would happily run one over my tank. :)

grantbey
05/16/2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks! Happy to hear you like the series. Once we get through the BRS160, we'd love to do some more product videos, and this could be a good idea.

As far as the popularity goes, the fixture is relatively new to the market, but they both are pretty highly reviewed on our site. We are currently running one in the office over an Elos cube and have been for around 6-8 months. Everything in the tank is happy and growing. The shimmer is pretty natural, there isn't any noticeable disco-ball to my eye, but that may change depending on the flow in the tank.

Thanks so much for the response. I think you've settled it for me!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RT_BRS
05/16/2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks so much for the response. I think you've settled it for me!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No problem!

Harley_Lvr
07/25/2017, 07:48 PM

Hey there BRS. I just purchased the zetlight qmaven 6800 for my 55 gallon tank. I'm struggling with a schedule and light strengths. Would going with the default setting me ok or is there some other schedule and intensity you would recommend? I'm looking to grow soft coral and shrooms. Hopefully you guys can help, I can't seem to find any info. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy_BRS
07/26/2017, 11:31 AM
Hey there BRS. I just purchased the zetlight qmaven 6800 for my 55 gallon tank. I'm struggling with a schedule and light strengths. Would going with the default setting me ok or is there some other schedule and intensity you would recommend? I'm looking to grow soft coral and shrooms. Hopefully you guys can help, I can't seem to find any info. Thanks in advance.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there!

I can't really say that I have programmed one of those lights specifically, but from my experience new LEDs usually have a very intense default schedule. Personally, I would have a ramp-up/down schedule that provides about 8-10hrs of total light (with about 2hrs ramp up and 2hrs ramp down.). I would also suggest starting the intensity low, maybe around 30%, and increasing that by about 5% each week. Depending on your specific coral placement and depth, you may end up capping out around 50%-60% but the health of your corals can help determine that. :)

-Randy