PDA

View Full Version : Question re Tail Spot Blenny

Hitch08
05/16/2016, 08:45 AM
I purchased a Tail Spot Blenny back on April 5. After going through QT, I recently added it to the DT. When it was in QT, it would eat flake food. Now that it's in the DT, it is interested in flake food, but it spits it back out. I've also tried cut up clams and Mysis. No interest at all with those.

To me, the blenny looks fine. It looks like it could be a little bit skinnier than when it was in the QT. Not sure, it may just be my concerns making me think that.

In any event, I tend to think it's fine and is probably eating algae in the DT. Although whenever I see it, it's perched on a rock just chilling. The only other fish in there is a Royal Gramma and the two get along fine.

Should I try something else? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

StrangeDejavu
05/16/2016, 09:35 AM
Do you have access to LRS? Mine loves it, as well as my other fish. There's a nice variety of chunk sizes so the other fish go after the large stuff and he catches the finer particles. Mine has no problem eating anything you put in the tank, my problem seems to be him getting enough. My Bangaii and Clown are sharks and eat everything before the Blenny even has the chance to chew the first piece, so he's really skinny. If you don't have access to LRS, then i'd consider trying what you do have again but soaking it in garlic first.

Hitch08
05/16/2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the response!

Funny that you mention LRS. Just this weekend, I found a LFS reasonably close that sells it. Which LRS product do you use? Herbivore Frenzy?

StrangeDejavu
05/16/2016, 04:35 PM
I just went through a package of standard Reef Frenzy but plan on trying RF Nano next time I go

Hitch08
05/17/2016, 08:44 AM
I watched the blenny try to eat again last night. He/She/It just spits out all of the flake food. However, I got a decent look at he/she/it and there's a decent belly there. Certainly not thin.

Does anyone else have a blenny that seems able to live off of the algae in the tank?

StrangeDejavu
05/17/2016, 10:04 AM
I watched the blenny try to eat again last night. He/She/It just spits out all of the flake food. However, I got a decent look at he/she/it and there's a decent belly there. Certainly not thin.

Does anyone else have a blenny that seems able to live off of the algae in the tank?

Mine is so weird. He's paper thin, won't touch the algae/seaweed portions of the LRS, only goes for the meaty chunks. I can't visibly find any trace of algae anywhere in my tank, and yet yesterday he pooped out a huge, green poo. He's finding food somewhere, even if I can't see it, lol.

Hitch08
05/17/2016, 10:18 AM
Mine is so weird. He's paper thin, won't touch the algae/seaweed portions of the LRS, only goes for the meaty chunks. I can't visibly find any trace of algae anywhere in my tank, and yet yesterday he pooped out a huge, green poo. He's finding food somewhere, even if I can't see it, lol.

No kidding! Your blenny is amazingly thin! Mine looks a lot like the one you pulled from Google. Heck, mine might even have a larger belly than that one.

johnike
05/17/2016, 10:22 AM
Mine does the same thing and has been fine for years.
It's eating something!

StrangeDejavu
05/17/2016, 10:24 AM
No kidding! Your blenny is amazingly thin! Mine looks a lot like the one you pulled from Google. Heck, mine might even have a larger belly than that one.

I found pics of him from the store the day I bought him and he was nice and fat, so I don't know why he got so thin while in QT? Maybe TTM stressed him to the point where he stopped eating during those 2 weeks. I just learned this morning that he's exceptionally shy still. I usually feed my tank and watch everyone eat. But what I noticed is as soon as I walk away, he comes out and eats like the rest. So I think if I feed and walk away, he might actually fatten up.

Hitch08
05/17/2016, 10:29 AM
That's good news.

Mine was the opposite. He ate flake while in QT. I think he even ate some clam. Now, he spits it all back out.