PDA

View Full Version : Any brightly (blue) colored clams that don't require high intensity lighting?

Salty150
05/16/2016, 10:05 AM
I just saw the new post regarding the Blue/Green Squamosa claim - beautiful!

I was wondering if there are any other brightly, blue preferably, (like a Maxima Clam) colored claims that don't require high intensity lighting?

MondoBongo
05/16/2016, 11:09 AM
what's high light intensity in your opinion?

T. derasa are generally considered the least demanding in terms of lighting requirements for the commonly kept Tridacna clams, but they still require a good amount of light, and also they're not blue (at least i've never seen any blue ones).

but, again, their requirements for "less" light is highly relative.

Salty150
05/16/2016, 05:34 PM
what's high light intensity in your opinion?

T. derasa are generally considered the least demanding in terms of lighting requirements for the commonly kept Tridacna clams, but they still require a good amount of light, and also they're not blue (at least i've never seen any blue ones).

but, again, their requirements for "less" light is highly relative.

Well, LEDs... Radion Pros/Kessil AP7000...

The tank has mostly (so far) hammers and frogspawn - so not high intensity lighting.

joshky
05/16/2016, 09:05 PM
What lighting do you currently use? This will give us a better understanding of what you can have in your system, you may be surprised... Those two light fixtures, actually LEDs in general (for the most part), are overkill on many systems. That's why people dial them back and don't run them at 100% intensity.

People have been keeping clams long before LEDs were even a thing, just because your current inhabitants don't require high lighting doesn't mean you can't meet the needs of a clam.

Shanet
05/17/2016, 06:31 AM
I have a Blue Squamosa and I run Radions but at 50% for only 2 hours a day (ramping up to and down from over a 7 hour period) I don't consider this as intense lighting. The clam is growing fast so I guess it's enough lighting.