PDA

View Full Version : DIY Acrylic fabrication- Tanks, Sumps, & Overflows! Experts plz chime in.

Ghlreefer
05/16/2016, 01:13 PM
I have been doing research, looking at old threads, and have called a few sump makers.

However, when It comes to buying acrylic for building sumps or overflow boxes etc...it seems that nobody is in agreement.

All seem to agree that Cell-Cast acrylic is best and chosen over Extruded, but Cell-Cast is only the method that refers to how it's made. There's so many different manufacturers that make Cell-Cast. Which are the good brands and which are junk?

I heard that 90% of Cell-Cast is garbage. Is this true?

My main question is what type of Acrylic and what brand or manufacturer is good or best for our hobby? Do all acrylics weld the same or can some be more challenging or produce bubbles.

Also...is Weldon #3 and #4 the best to use for welding the acrylic? I'm looking for clean clear seams! No bubbles!

The last question I have is how much should I expect to pay for a 8'x4' sheet of 1/4" or 3/8"?

rickztahone
05/16/2016, 04:30 PM
I have been doing research, looking at old threads, and have called a few sump makers.

However, when It comes to buying acrylic for building sumps or overflow boxes etc...it seems that nobody is in agreement.

All seem to agree that Cell-Cast acrylic is best and chosen over Extruded, but Cell-Cast is only the method that refers to how it's made. There's so many different manufacturers that make Cell-Cast. Which are the good brands and which are junk?

My main question is what type of Acrylic and what brand or manufacturer is good or best for our hobby? Do all acrylics weld the same or can some be more challenging or produce bubbles.

Also...is Weldon #3 and #4 the best to use for welding the acrylic? I'm looking for clean clear seams! No bubbles!

The last question I have is how much should I expect to pay for a 8'x4' sheet of 1/4" or 3/8"?

Weld on 4 and 16 are good welding options. As far as which are best acrylics? I have heard of specific named branded ones that many recommend. However, I went to a plastics store locally and just asked which was cell cast and I ended up grabbing some spare pieces for my overflow box as well as baffles. Granted, these aren't as important as full on sheets would be to build an actual tank, but I had no idea who was the manufacturer of my acrylic, and I didn't really care so long as it visually looked good and it was cell cast.

mcgyvr
05/16/2016, 05:31 PM
either polycast or plexiglass G

Ghlreefer
05/16/2016, 07:54 PM
either polycast or plexiglass G

Sweet...I heard good things about both of those. Saved it in a note on my iPhone. I'll post it after this post.

Things l've been told so far:
Cell-cast can be with or without "crossed linked"
Cross-link is hard to glue
Most cell-cast that comes from China is junk for tank building or sump building. Exp. Chemcast, Trucast, etc. It bows a lot.
Acrystar EG is the best for Aquarium building. It is Cell-cast and not cross-linked. It's easy to glue/weld. The EG stands for "Easy Glue."
Was told Acrystar EG has been used for 10' tanks and that it's been sold to the guys on the "Tanked" tv show.

Ghlreefer
05/16/2016, 07:56 PM
Acrylic advice from local sump builder:

Notes in my phone-

I get mine local but it's business accounts only.

The only place I know locally that sells what I use to the public is Sabic. All the rest are b2b only.

"Cell-Cast" is a method that refers to how the acrylic is made. Just because it's cell cast doesn't necessarily mean it's quality. 90% of cell cast is garbage for sump building.

Polyone Polycast GP
Or Arkema plexiG

Make sure the plexiG is domestically made. The formula of long to short polymers is the correct ratio for sumps and aquariums.

Most of the others skimp which make it crap. Esp all the Chinese crap like chemcast, trucast, acristar. They're all garbage.

Weldon 40 for acrylic greater than 1" Or high pressure situations. It's a catalytic cement.
If done correctly the joint is stronger than the material.

You have to do the pin method or something equivalent.

Ghlreefer
05/19/2016, 03:14 AM
Anybody else have suggestions or opinions.

Seems like not many people know about acrylic.

Acrylics
05/20/2016, 11:16 AM

My main question is what type of Acrylic and what brand or manufacturer is good or best for our hobby? Do all acrylics weld the same or can some be more challenging or produce bubbles. Yes, it's true, for our purposes. Most acrylic is made "not to craze" which means high molecular chain length therefore very stable. Problem is, because they are so stable, their solubility goes down so do not glue up strong and joints look ugly. If the molecular chain lengths are too short, as in extruded material, the material can't handle the stresses involved with pressure vessels without crazing. The "happy medium" materials are PlexiGlas G and Polycast. No others compare or are proven over the years. IMO Polycast is a better material but 50% more expensive.

Also...is Weldon #3 and #4 the best to use for welding the acrylic? I'm looking for clean clear seams! No bubbles! It's not a matter really of the solvent used, it's the preparation of the material and technique and skill of the person doing the job. Practice practice practice :)
That said, no, 3 & 4 are not "the best" but they are the industry standards, easiest available, and cheapest way to go.

James