PDA

View Full Version : 2 1/2 Year Biocube 29 Update

ajt12
05/16/2016, 02:18 PM
Have not been on here for a long time. So thought I would provide and update. This BC has been running for 2 1/2 years. It is pretty much an algae garden right now, but I have kept a gigantea and large clam in it for close to 2 years. Due to an injury, water changes have been a challenge for a while. That is what lead to the algae issue. Getting better though and it is now time to get it cleaned up. Have been using the same Kessil 350 for the whole time with the nem and the clam.

Pellikan
05/16/2016, 11:45 PM
I know how you feel. One reason I wanted a biocube was because of back issues making water changes a challenge. I like your clam and it looks like you've got some good stuff in there as a basis for a nice tank once the algae gets taken care of. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

homer1475
05/17/2016, 04:35 AM
Back issues for this guy too. I thought starting small wouldn't be an issue with only needing 5G of water for a WC, but I was wrong. Now I've moved up to a bigger tank, all I need to do is throw some valves and scoop in some salt. When were all mixed up, again just throw a couple vale handles and my weekly WC is done.

Smaller isn't necessarily easier, specially in this hobby.

ajt12
05/17/2016, 08:40 AM
Smaller is definitely not easier! At one point, I had 4 tanks going. Kept the 2 largest. The BC being the biggest. Things can go bad fast in a small tank.

I have a tendon issue in my wrists. Maintanance has been a nightmare.

ReefWreak
05/17/2016, 09:58 AM
For breaking all of the rules, big clam, big anemone, all in a nano, with few water changes, the tank actually looks great, and inhabitants look happy! It's nice what you can do with fewer corals, instead of packing them in like cattle like in my tank.

Thanks for posting the update!

ajt12
05/17/2016, 11:43 AM
For breaking all of the rules, big clam, big anemone, all in a nano, with few water changes, the tank actually looks great, and inhabitants look happy! It's nice what you can do with fewer corals, instead of packing them in like cattle like in my tank.

Thanks for posting the update!

Thanks! In my experience, the critical requirements for clams are light and calcium and giganteas are the hardiest nem I have ever had (if they survive shipping).