PDA

View Full Version : Photosynthetic gorgs

mike&kel
05/16/2016, 02:43 PM
How do identify if a gorg is photosynthetic or not when buying? Many retailers don't list this. It will help me with selection and placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimyatingi
05/16/2016, 03:42 PM
Photosynthetic gorgonias are not so beautiffly colorfull.So if You see bright-colorfull polyps on Gorgonia-it's a non-photo.

Отправлено с моего SM-G850F через Tapatalk

Bongo Shrimp
05/17/2016, 05:57 PM
Photosynthetic gorgonias are not so beautiffly colorfull.So if You see bright-colorfull polyps on Gorgonia-it's a non-photo.

I wouldn't say this is a rule. There are many brown/white/drab non-photo gorgonians. Most of the commonly available photosynthetic gorgs are indeed pretty dull but I don't think that's a good way to differentiate them.

There is not one easy way to know, but I think researching the commonly available, known photosynthetic gorgonians would help give you a good idea. I have herd some people say that polyp size can also be used to differentiate them, but like color, it is variable in both.

kimyatingi
05/17/2016, 06:00 PM
Yes of course it's not a rule but mostly thing.

Reefable
05/18/2016, 09:09 AM
What do you guys think about the Blueberry Gorg. It is a beauty and I am being told it is a photosynthetic gorg.

Bongo Shrimp
05/18/2016, 09:26 AM
What do you guys think about the Blueberry Gorg. It is a beauty and I am being told it is a photosynthetic gorg.

It is absolutely 100% NOT photosynthetic and it is nearly impossible to care for. There is maybe one or two people who have ever been able to grow them and even still they didn't last that long. Avoid them.

Who ever told you they are photosynthetic has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and you probably should be very careful of taking any advice from them. Sounds like all they care about is making a sale.

Reefable
05/18/2016, 01:20 PM
It is absolutely 100% NOT photosynthetic and it is nearly impossible to care for. There is maybe one or two people who have ever been able to grow them and even still they didn't last that long. Avoid them.

Who ever told you they are photosynthetic has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and you probably should be very careful of taking any advice from them. Sounds like all they care about is making a sale.

O boy thank you so much for the insight...yes I thought so too since there is a big difference between the looks of both kind of corals..thanks.

kimyatingi
05/19/2016, 06:17 AM

True!+1

Devaji108
05/21/2016, 05:25 PM
look on KP aquatics they have a good selection of gorgs. most phot with a few of the easier NPS ones.