PDA

View Full Version : Unsure what to do

fernalfer
05/18/2016, 03:55 AM
OK so I have a 120 gallon setup cycled and ready to go fish less right now with nothing in it. Ghost feeding flake food every now and then just to keep bacteria happy. I bought my first fish 4 days ago and placed him in QT. A Lemon peel mimic tang. He has a great personality and eats like a pig from day 1 when I brought him home from LFS. Now treatment. Do I just observe this fish for illness or disease or do I actually treat him for stuff he may not even have. I have cupramine and prazipro on hand. Now the prazipro I don't mind giving him to treat for flukes or parasites because its not to harmful but treating with copper to a fish that is in great looking healthy condition bothers me. I almost feel I may take this healthy, happy, hungry fish and possible hurt him or even degrade his overall health by treating him for stuff he may not even have. Tough time stressing a unstressed fish for no reason. Please help me with this concept and what I should do moving forward. I mean he is my first fish so it's not like he can go into my main display and wipe out the tank, it's empty. And catching him if he does come down with something will be easy because when I put my hand in the tank he comes right up to me. Like I said very outgoing fish. Hate to keep him in a 20 gallon QT if he really does not need to be. I understand the concept behind quarantine, but not sure I agree using toxic substances to treat a fish that may not even be sick. (Kind of like telling someone we are going to give you chemotherapy just incase you have cancer)

snorvich
05/18/2016, 05:15 AM
Formalin dip followed by TTM and 5 weeks observation.

fernalfer
05/18/2016, 02:22 PM
Ok so whats my route if i don't do TTM with this fish. I'm not properly setup with stuff for 2 seperate tanks. Maybe i'll read about TTM and do that for the fish going forward but for now this fish is settled in the 20 gallon he is in now. It was seeded with a sponge from main DT so ammonia levels are great=0 Nitrate sometimes hits 0.25 but shortly goes to 0 thereafter. Should i do a couple rounds of prazipro and observe for a few weeks after prazi for ick. Or should i just go ahead and treat with Cupramine and hope for the best that it does not screw up his pleasant behavoirs.

kmbyrnes
05/19/2016, 06:11 AM
Hope you do follow on on the reading. TTM has been my go-to method for over a year. Once you have done it the first time, it becomes easy to do and IMO is the least stressful ich treatment as far as the fish are concerned.

MrsBugmaster
05/20/2016, 06:30 AM
Formalin dip followed by TTM and 5 weeks observation.

I would follow the above advise. Fish may have ich but shows no signs right now. If fish is not stressed it will not show but may still have it. If you don't do treatment and put fish in DT, well more fish are added and may stress the fish and BAM...you now have ich in DT.

It is time consuming and takes commitment to do TTM properly, but well worth it in the end.