PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for soon to be 90 gallon reef tank.

Asbury030
05/19/2016, 04:07 PM
Well my dad and I are setting up a Oceanic 90 gallon bowfront we bought for 250 bucks with stand included. Needless to say I have a 20 gal high right now with a maxspect rzr on it and I am not to happy with the results of leds. I'm thinking about the ATI T5 48" 6 bulb dimmable fixture for the 90 gallon, but I am open to opinions on other ideas... Thanks in advance

nereefpat
05/19/2016, 04:36 PM
I had a tek 6 bulb t5 on my 90, and I loved it. So much, in fact, that it now sits on my 125

Look in to LEDs as well.

What are you wanting to keep? Corals etc?

Bpb
05/19/2016, 09:31 PM
ATI sunpower 6x54 will be perfect and once you are over the "no more royal blue" look of the tank you'll like it so much more. If you're growing corals especially. LEDs can absolutely work and do work often, but normally it is with the higher end units, with reefers having vast experience who really know how to use them. Plus...White light just looks more pleasing coming from bulbs in my opinion.

Asbury030
05/21/2016, 06:24 AM
I would like to keep a variety of corals. I actually went to a LFS in town and he had the AI twentysix setup and I actually really liked the look compared to his ATI 6 bulb setup. Now I am unsure what way I want to go. The maxspect rzr really put a bad image of LED in my head. So im kinda lenient about going leds but the coral in his tanks looked awesome and healthy. I know there is more to it than just the light but I have had no success with this maxspect at all. I'm kinda thinking that 2 hydra twentsix hds would be the way to go for me but I'm just not sure. I was hoping you guys could help me out on this one

Bdial
05/21/2016, 09:27 AM
Hamilton tech Cebu sun. Dual mh and t5s. I love mine

Bpb
05/21/2016, 09:39 AM
Just depends on the look you prefer honestly. Some people like the t5ho look more with no shadows, bright everywhere, more realistic white light, some people really love that royal blue zing. It'll be up to your personal preference. I can honestly say that I've got much better growth out of t5ho than LEDs. I can't guarantee YOU will, but I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cougareyes
05/22/2016, 12:15 AM
I had a maxspect razor on my bc29 and had great success, mostly lps. So I got another one to add to it when I upgraded to a 90; and the tank is doing very well. I really don't like the kessils, but they seem to be very popular. The specs of the AI 26 is very similar to the maxspect razor, I believe you have more control with he AI but you'll probably not see much in the way of results of what you had from the razor. I do like t5s, if I were to do another tank, I'd do a t5/led hybrid.

Asbury030
05/23/2016, 05:33 AM
I'm leaning more towards the 6 bulb T5s