PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good uv setup??

Zacktosterone
05/20/2016, 08:30 AM
Im wondering if this will be the most effective way to utelize my uv? I can calculate the gph on the line so it won't matter. Just way to know if this works.

GimpyFin
05/20/2016, 08:41 AM
IMO, I would run the UV off a separate pump and keep the return just going back to the main tank. It will also be easier to fine tune the flow rate you want. You can also just run the UV so it dumps back into the sump, it doesn't need to go back up to the main tank like the return.

Zacktosterone
05/20/2016, 08:45 AM
IMO, I would run the UV off a separate pump and keep the return just going back to the main tank. It will also be easier to fine tune the flow rate you want. You can also just run the UV so it dumps back into the sump, it doesn't need to go back up to the main tank like the return.

I know that. But i want to use it as much possible. It's there something wrong with running it this way?

GimpyFin
05/20/2016, 08:59 AM
Nothing wrong with it, so to speak. Having it out of band from the return means you can tear it down or change it up easily without affecting any of your return plumbing.

Zacktosterone
05/20/2016, 09:34 AM
Nothing wrong with it, so to speak. Having it out of band from the return means you can tear it down or change it up easily without affecting any of your return plumbing.

I agree, but unions are a good get around for that

yacn
05/20/2016, 10:13 AM
I think that will work fine...

I might consider doing exactly what your have outlined, but instead of having the discharge from your UV going to the DT I would consider having the discharge go back into the sump instead.

Either way will be fine.

Just thinking if you had to take the UV off line it won't affect affect the flow back to your tank if you have it dumping back into your sump. You can shut off the gate valve and keep your tank running w/o UV while you do cleaning, repairs, changing bulbs or decide not to run it for awhile.

Zacktosterone
05/20/2016, 10:22 AM
I think that will work fine...

I might consider doing exactly what your have outlined, but instead of having the discharge from your UV going to the DT I would consider having the discharge go back into the sump instead.

Either way will be fine.

Just thinking if you had to take the UV off line it won't affect affect the flow back to your tank if you have it dumping back into your sump. You can shut off the gate valve and keep your tank running w/o UV while you do cleaning, repairs, changing bulbs or decide not to run it for awhile.

I can just plumb in extra ball valves to shut it off or divert water

yacn
05/20/2016, 11:14 AM
I can just plumb in extra ball valves to shut it off or divert water

then you're good to go....but why put in extra plumbing, unions, and valves if you don't have to?

Your way is perfect and most effective! I think that's what you are wanting to hear ...LOL

Zacktosterone
05/20/2016, 11:28 AM

then you're good to go....but why put in extra plumbing, unions, and valves if you don't have to?

Your way is perfect and most effective! I think that's what you are wanting to hear ...LOL

Not really.... Im trying to find potential issues.

I re did the scheme

Turbosreef
05/20/2016, 11:59 AM
I run my UV out of the sump it's the same water and if you plumb from the DT if you have a power outage you better make sure you won't create a siphon that will empty if the DT in a power outage. I run mine up from sump and back to sump power out would have zero impact this way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zacktosterone
05/20/2016, 12:01 PM
I run my UV out of the sump it's the same water and if you plumb from the DT if you have a power outage you better make sure you won't create a siphon that will empty if the DT in a power outage. I run mine up from sump and back to sump power out would have zero impact this way.

Anti syphon holes are good?

yacn
05/20/2016, 12:01 PM

Not really.... Im trying to find potential issues.

I re did the scheme

I was just joking around....sometimes sarcastic humor doesn't transfer well in writing .... no offense meant ... hope none taken

Turbosreef
05/20/2016, 12:03 PM
It may affect your flow better to run it closed loop on its own