PDA

View Full Version : Now yellow has it

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 09:37 AM
So I moved the blue tang into a separate tank to try to treat the ich but woke up this morning and the yellow tang had dove into the salt shaker now too. I don't have any corals and my live rock is probably still dead so I am wondering if I can just put the blue tang back in the DT and treat the entire tank. There r some other small fish in the DT which probably have the ich too just not showing the signs.
I am not in a position to TTM nor knowledgeable enough to use copper. Is it safe to just treat the DT as I was treating the QT when it just housed the blue tang?
Thanks

Dmorty217
05/20/2016, 11:46 AM
New Life Spectrum Ick shield powder

Turbosreef
05/20/2016, 11:56 AM
Yes it's the same thing unless you have inverts and corals they will die and copper will leach out of rocks in the future

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks. Can I just treat for 60-70 days and be confident that I have won the battle, understanding the war never ends?

m0nkie
05/20/2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks. Can I just treat for 60-70 days and be confident that I have won the battle, understanding the war never ends?

you can try hypo salinity, but it is not 100% effective.

you don't know copper. That's fine. copper is poison and you cannot use it in DT.

you can TTM with home depot buckets as long as the fish aren't too big. Just need an airstone and heater. For the tangs, maybe a bigger plastic container. Cheap, easy, and effective. Afterwards, your DT need to stay fallow for 72 days. I prefer 90 days. But since your DT is new, I'd just bleach everything and start over. Dead rock + Dr. Tim bacteria = cycled tank in 1 month. Then put your fish back in

m0nkie
05/20/2016, 01:35 PM
last option is to feed your fish better and keep them stress free. They will have ich but the strong ones will develop immunity and survive. You will see ich here and there in the future, mostly when your fish get stressed, but it'll be gone in a day or two..

avoid things like: over sized tang in small tank, over crowding tank with too many fish, aggressive fish, low nutrient minimum feeding, etc..

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 02:07 PM
So in my 55 gallon rectangular, I have a yellow tang (3"), blue Dori tang (2 1/2"), blue spotted puffer (3"), Six line wrasse (1 1/2"), clown (1 1/2"), 3 damsels that made it through the cycling period (1" each) and a lawnmower blenny (4"). Then I have couple snails and hermits.
I feed Rods food and some marine flakes. Recently introduced 1/2 shell clams for puffer but he turned his nose up at it, while all other fish chowed down

nuttyd
05/20/2016, 02:23 PM
Removed.

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 02:29 PM
Yup but as I have mentioned in some other posts, I have made an agreement with my daughter and LFS that u can take back the fish once they need a bigger home

BrianD
05/20/2016, 04:24 PM
Yup but as I have mentioned in some other posts, I have made an agreement with my daughter and LFS that u can take back the fish once they need a bigger home

That would be now. This hobby is much easier when stocking limits are conservative. When you push the recommended boundaries, you are more prone to tank issues. Save yourself (and the fish) the heartache and stock conservatively and slowly.

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 05:46 PM
Based on what I have in there now, do you think I am overstocked?

Deinonych
05/20/2016, 06:18 PM

The consensus here is that you should not put any tang in a 55gal tank, especially a Blue Tang. You have almost as many fish as I have in my 105 (I have 11, mostly small fish). If it were me, I would rehome both tangs and not add any more fish until the tank stabilizes.

m0nkie
05/20/2016, 07:11 PM

yes.. I'm no tang police. I love them and I'm having trouble with 1 myself. I have a 100gal, 150gal and 110gal. I have 1 purple tang about 3 inches. He's been rehomed in between the 3 tanks so much. I love this fish but he picks fight with everybody..

blue tang are worse imo on temper. tried a few at 2" in my 150gal... I can't put any fish in afterwards.

m0nkie
05/20/2016, 07:14 PM
I would remove at least 1 of the tangs.. prefer both. but if you must keep one, keep the small one.. and later switch him for a 1" blue tang..

I'd remove the 6line wrasse too IF possible. not very peaceful imo.

your 3 damsels may turn into 1 someday by itself..

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 07:39 PM
What do you mean by 3 damsels will turn into 1?
The Six Line is acting ok. He isn't really bullying either tang nor the puffer. The Six line stays under the rock mostly except when it's time to eat.
What is the typical process for getting rid of fish? Do LFS normally give credit if you take a fish back in? So if I take back the blue tang, would they normally give me some form of trade credit or am I just doing what's best for the fish?

snorvich
05/20/2016, 07:57 PM
The Six Line is acting ok. He isn't really bullying either tang nor the puffer. The Six line stays under the rock mostly except when it's time to eat.
What is the typical process for getting rid of fish? Do LFS normally give credit if you take a fish back in? So if I take back the blue tang, would they normally give me some form of trade credit or am I just doing what's best for the fish?

Re-homing fish is difficult at best.

Coachb9
05/20/2016, 08:08 PM
So what are the typical re-homing options/processes? Will be the first time I have done this

m0nkie
05/20/2016, 09:37 PM
you either sell it on the forum locally.

or you take it to LFS for some store credit.. it all depends on the shop. Most will give you <1/2 of what you paid for. $5, $10 for regular fish?

m0nkie
05/20/2016, 09:40 PM

IME, they kill each other after awhile.. you are left with the strongest one.

6line wrasse too. they randomly get aggressive and kill tank mates. poke out fish eyes, etc..

BrianD
05/21/2016, 08:14 PM
So what are the typical re-homing options/processes? Will be the first time I have done this

All you can do is try your best either with the LFS, local club forum, or a fellow reefer.

Trust me, most reefers were in your shoes at one time. It is easy to rush things and buy every nice fish we see. Please don't take our advice as criticism. I am just sharing the knowledge learned from my own mistakes.

ThRoewer
05/22/2016, 12:05 AM
The consensus here is that you should not put any tang in a 55gal tank, especially a Blue Tang. ...

Austria actually has since 2005 an animal protection law that makes it illegal to put any tang into a tank that is less than 1000 liters (264 US Gal) in volume.

You can take that as a guideline what the minimum tank size for any tang should be ...

Deinonych
05/22/2016, 08:01 AM
Austria actually has since 2005 an animal protection law that makes it illegal to put any tang into a tank that is less than 1000 liters (264 US Gal) in volume.

You can take that as a guideline what the minimum tank size for any tang should be ...

Citation?

ThRoewer
05/22/2016, 01:20 PM
Citation?
http://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20003860

Anlage 5: Mindestanforderungen an die Haltung von Fischen
2. Mindestanforderungen für die Haltung von Meerwasserfischen

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

krullshards
05/22/2016, 04:13 PM
http://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20003860

Anlage 5: Mindestanforderungen an die Haltung von Fischen
2. Mindestanforderungen für die Haltung von Meerwasserfischen

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That site seems to indicate that gobies can only be kept in 300+ liter (~80+ gallon) tanks. The smallest tank size they advocate is 200 liters (~50 gallons).

Hmm...